Author Topic: Stuffings for turkey  (Read 3024 times)

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
Stuffings for turkey
« on: November 24, 2007, 21:35:34 »
Apart from the standard sage and onion, any suggestions for something more exciting.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
Re: Stuffings for turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 01:02:28 »
sausage, chestnut and cranberry?

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 12:27:52 »
I have done this on many occasions and it's a grest success ... more crumbly and less stodgey than many  ;)

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/american-turkey-stuffing,1211,RC.html
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 18:45:25 »
Stuff Turkeys, I say.

But, if you must, Bronze of course, yes, nice recipe. But MUCH better to make the stuffing separately in blocks or balls.

In addition to some moisturising bits inside.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 18:57:20 »
Free range Bronze for me-and there are two ends,savoury at one,but something sharp and slightly sweet at the other gives a good contrast in tastes.

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 21:59:57 »
I do my stuffing outside the bird as well (can I please rephrase that?!?!)  I cheat and use one of the Sainsbury's taste the difference range - almond and apricot I think.

To keep the turkey moist, I use a mixture of butter, quark and herbs de Provence placed under the skin, and wrap the thighs in alu foil.

Mind you, what chance getting a decent free range bronze or black this year for less than your mortgage?

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 22:49:16 »
I usualy make 2 stuffings. These i make in throwaway foil trays :)

Sausage Meat Suffing

500g Sausage Meat
1/3 a loaf of bread processed though food processer
1 tbsp whole grain mustard
2 oz cranbery juice
1 Cored Apple ( this is processed though food processer with bread to break up )
1 Red Onion ( this is processed though food processer with bread to break up )
1 tbsp onion gravy granuals
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp sage dried (fresh about 1 oz)
1/2 tsp parsney dried (fresh about 1 oz)
Salt and Pepper

You should end up with a consistancy that is reminisant of the sausage meat but maybe a little more open texture so that this will dry out a little during cooking leaving a crispy outside and moist inside :)

45min @180 degrees

Daddies Bread Stuffing

1/2 loaf of bread
1 tbsp gravy granuals ( onion if its not chicken or beef if chicken or beef use the relevant granuals)
1/2 tsp sage dried (fresh about 1 oz)
1/2 tsp Thyme dried (fresh about 1 oz)
1/2 tsp parsney dried (fresh about 1 oz)
1 Egg
Add hot water to the processer as it blends until right consitancy
Salt and Pepper

You should end up with dough like consitancy but maybe a little more open texture so that this will dry out a little during cooking leaving a crispy outside and moist inside :)

35min @180 degrees

Cheating my version of Daddies stuffing if i am short of time ( makes enough for 2-3 people )
4-5 slices of bread
1 tbsp gravy granuals ( onion if its not chicken or beef if chicken or beef use the relevant granuals)
1 small packet of paxo
1 Egg
Salt and Pepper
Add hot water to the processer as it blends until right consitancy

You should end up with dough like consitancy but maybe a little more open texture so that this will dry out a little during cooking leaving a crispy outside and moist inside :)

35min @180 degrees

All of these are best made a good 30 min before you need to cook it as this gives the herbs time to infuse. You can also pre-cook these take out when very light brown and then put back in for last 10 min to warm though and brown :)

I have also seen a river cottage program when he did a pearl barley stuffing but i have not tried that yet.

Cambourne7

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 13:29:02 »
I put a large spanish onion inside of our turkey, keeps it very very moist.
I make stuffing balls 2 days before & bake them 20mins before serving lunch luvvvvvverly. ;D

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 16:46:01 »
I remember the first time I did a Turkey - 1999! I didn't know which end was which ...! lol.
So many naked citrus fruit lounging around (made pudding, stuffing, stollen (or was it Panettone), etc) and used a couple of those in the cavity. Recipes were from BBC Good Food (still use the Christmas pud recipe from 1999) & Cook Book (Bella?). One stuffing recipe wanted Toulouse sausage - went to Asda and spoke to the butcher - he hadn't heard of it.
Apple and onion sausagemeat stuffing sounds good.
Probably doing 2 - one for stuffing neck, and the other for stuffing balls (or a swiss roll looking thing with bacon).
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 17:10:02 »
I have one that I think is the best I have ever made...sorry Mum!!

I  usually make it in a casserole dish along side the bird, it only takes about 45 mins or so but you can stuff with it.If I stuff I use it in the body cavity, I stuff the neck cavity with chestnut stuffing

I use a US  cup measure which holds about 250 ml fluid or 8 fluid ounces. The teaspoon holds 5 ml and the table spoon 15 ml.

SUPER DUPER TURKEY SUFFING

4 minced garlic cubes
1/4 cup butter
1 cup of chopped small mushrooms (don't mince)
1 cup of very fine chopped celery
4 rashers of smoked bacon, cooked till crisp and then crumbled
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
4 cups of lightly packed bread cubes, about half an inch thick is best, this is about 6 to 8 slices depending on the thickness of the bread, I use a  home baked granary loaf, but any brown will do.
1 level teaspoon salt
1/2 level teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon of dried thymes flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano flakes
2 teaspoons  dried parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon of ground sage
1 1/4  cups chicken stock, you can use fresh , tinned or a cube.
2 tablespoons of goose fat or extra butter if you prefer.

Saute the onions, celery  and garlic in the first amount of butter till translucent, add the bacon , herbs and seasonings, then the mushrooms,stir fry for a minute or so, finally add the bread cubes and  toss till  the butter has touched them all.Add the stock, stir a moment or two without mushing it up , you want to be able to distinctly see cubes. Let cook a couple of minutes.  Pour into a greased casserole dish. Paint the top with the goose fat.Bake covered for about 30-45 minutes on 325.

It is a forgiving recipe so if you wish to use fresh herbs make appropriate substitutions, or use olive oil, all goose fat.

You can completely cook it on the top of the stove if you wish but I never have enough burners free!!

Enjoy!!

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 17:15:14 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 17:39:52 »
Isn't there a liver based stuffing - I'm sure Mum used to do one?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 00:16:16 »
Yes, I do it sometimes.

Take the liver, heart and gizzard from the bird, simmer till tender, chop very finely add to  homemade sage and onion stuffing with sauted crumbled pork sausages, stock from simmering to bind together

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 12:36:06 »
Sounds good to me :)

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 13:48:14 »
Mmhh - which one to choose ....  I was amazed when I saw gravy granules in your stuffing Cambourne - never thought of putting some of that in.  I will definitely try one of these - but which one... Choices - choices ???

PS  I normally put a lemon in the inside with some whole onions (which I brown with the potatoes later) and a bay leaf and some fresh herbs and then stuff the neck.  The stuffing balls are new to me since living in this country - but a good idea.  Thanks guys.  I am going to be very busy in the kitchen in the next few weeks. ;D ;D ;D

I have about 8 parnips - the only ones which grew on my lottie ready and waiting for christmas.  Although the brussel sprouts (red rubine) are not looking promising and I doubt that I will get any for Christmas - fingers crossed!  Maybe I put them in too late. :-\

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal