Author Topic: Collecting rainwater off a polytunnel  (Read 4462 times)

Ed^Chigliak

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Collecting rainwater off a polytunnel
« on: July 03, 2004, 13:59:01 »
I have erected a 10x15ft polytunnel and was wondering if anyone has tried collecting rain water from the sides. I have been considering a guttering run about 1ft away from the polytunnel sides mounted on posts and then a polythene skirt to bridge the gap. Some sort of waterproof repair tape to fix the skirt to the side of the polytunnel and same again on the inside face of the guttering. What do you think?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re:Collecting rainwater off a polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 15:07:37 »
Your Duct-tape skirt into the trough should work, but the  weight of water during a downpour would be too much for the tape to support the guttering. You could mount the gutter on posts close to your tunnel. Your water butt would also need to be partly sunk into the ground. Wait for a really dry day to stick the duct-tape on as the slightest bit of damp will affect it's sticking.

abstract gardener

• Not So New ...
  • mandess
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 00:05:33 »
get some aquatic sealent, the stuff they use for patching ponds, that will stick any plastic and once its stuck its stuck, its water proof

tig

• Half Acre
  • .....HI.....
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 22:18:01 »
cant really help u out with the guttering part ed
but if your new to polytunnels can i recommend a book call... gardening under plastic.. by bernard salt
 :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal