Author Topic: Gourds and squash, difference?  (Read 2547 times)

carolinej

• Hectare
Gourds and squash, difference?
« on: August 23, 2007, 08:28:22 »
Hello,

I was wondering if there is much of a difference between gourd and squash. Why cant you eat a gourd? Other than ornamental value, is a gourd goood for anything else?

Thanks

cj :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Gourds and squash, difference?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 11:05:40 »
Hi Caroline, the short answer to your questions are.

Why can't I eat a gourd?   You can.

Other than ornamental is it good for anything else? Yes

What is the difference... see  below.

Squash , Pumpkins, Courgettes, Gourds, all get mixed up and sometimes it is hard to know where one finishes and the other starts.

So  we will lump them all together as  a species that is called Cucurbitas.

They then break down into 4 families.

Cucurbita Pepo
Cucurbita Maxima
Cucurbita Mixta
Cucurbita Moschata...includes the Cucurbita Argyrosperma which should be a separate family bit is considered the Moschatas sister and they are now starting to be classified as separate..but not fully accepted yet.

All squashes, pumpkins courgettes belong in one of these families and so do some  types called gourds.

It would be easy to assume that all pumpkins belong to the Maxima family as the name suggests large, bit it is not so, some  do and some don't.

Most summer squash which courgettes are belong to the Pepo family but there are exceptions.

Thee confusion comes from the names, squash, pumpkin, gourd etc.Different countries call then different names. eg In Australia many squashes are called pumpkins, and in the US many pumpkins are called squash. Many squash called gourds are actually not gourds at all but winter squash,It is best to think of them all as squash. eg. winter squash, summer squash, pumpkin squash.

Personally I call them all squash ,then break them down to further description.So if I say I grow squash, I also mean I grow squash, pumpkins and courgettes. I am not including gourds, even though I may have one who has gourd in it's name.

All winter squash,summer squash and pumpkin squash are edible to a greater or lesser degree depending on their sugar content, the fibre content. 

True gourds belong to a different species called Lagenaria Siceraria, these a very different from above. They are not squash. They are very different. They are inedible because they are bitter, or bland, they are stringy and indigestible.They make excellent decorations as they dry rock hard and can be used in all sorts of ways as ladles, spoons, birdhouse etc, There is even one that is used as shield to protect a thingy. The flowers smell awful and they bloom at night.They do not cross with other squashes, but they will with each other. There is one edible one among them which is the Cucuzzi which is the Italian climbing Gourd. Their shells which are thin dry rock hard.

If you are looking to buy gourds look for the species name, if it  includes any of the four that are the Cucurbita species, they are not gourds they are squash. A good example is Turban Gourd.. it is not a gourd but a squash, and also the little striped warty ones that are sold everywhere as gourds are actually from the pepo family and are also squash, they are not tasty, but they are squash.Crown of Thorns is actually a squash, you can eat it when young but it is not very good

A Turban Gourd, which I mentioned above is  part of the Maxima family    which also included the Buttercups and Hubbards. The turban is not a good squash for eating but the same can be said for many of the pumpkins too.

Pepo group includes most courgettes but it also includes the Jack o Lantern so you can see how confusing it can get.

So, I hope this has answered your question..summing up, yeas you can eat a gourd the Italian one, but mostly not., and if says gourd on the packet, it may well not be so.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 11:08:25 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 12:51:47 »
Thanks Jeannine, a very comprehensive answer. I think I get it a bit now ::)

So would a gourd skin be OK to use as a bowl? A small one as a cup. My son likes the idea of using things as close to nature as poss, and has been considering carving his own crockery out of wood (would it still be 'crockery' then  ???) This may be an alternative for him, and something for him to do throughout next summer. Who knows, a bowl today, a tureen tomorrow ;D

I have seen dinasaur gourds which look really amazing, but wouldnt want to grow them if they taste bad. Makes me feel a bit better too, as I was worried that maybe if I grew the wrong thing, my 'pumpkin' could turn out to be a killer :o

By the way, 'gourd' is such an unpleasant name, dont you think :-\

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 12:59:56 »
Hi, folks do use gourds as water carriers(bottle gourd) and spoons(dipper gourd) and bowls(apple gourds), I am not sure about cleaning them though,mind you we do use wooden salad bowls but they are very hardwood. I think some of them  are wonderful carved and painted. There is a very good site(sorry I forgot the name) which sells very expernsive carved gourds. I will try and find it for you.I actually started some off this year, quite a few types but they went in the floods.

Gourd..bad name, yep it sound too much like something else.

It is one area that I need to get deeper into, and will with a bit of luck next year.I fancy painting them.

XX Jeannine

PS How is your smallest pumkin!! Is it done yet?

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 15:49:59 »
I sometimes go on this site, altho am neglecting my duties of late.  This lady does some amazing arts and crafts and here are her guords.

http://www.gardenstew.com/about3905.html

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 16:27:03 »
Jeannine, not having much luck with my smallest pumpkin. It keeps growing!!! Actually, I'm not sure whic pumpkin is my smallest, as the waterproof pen I used for the labels wasnt sunproof!!!! The small ones are a really cute pumpkin shape though, whereas my giant (ha ha ha ha ha ha  ;D ;D ;D) ones are just round.

EJ, that site is an inspiration. I may well have a go at gourd painting next year.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal