Author Topic: Where exactly is your allotment? - Region - Wales  (Read 51709 times)

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
Re: Where exactly is your allotment? - Region - Wales
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2008, 12:54:01 »
Hello

My Nephew (Mr Fuchsia Nut) has his vegetable plot in his back garden which is on a side of a mountain in betws nr ammanford the top of his garden you can look right over his house and see most of the gower.

It's a nightmare to water and they have over time terraced it so it's easier to get up and down the garden the first level section of the garden is roughly inline with upstairs bedroom window and then it clims steeply upto the top.

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

peasmad

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2008, 21:56:45 »
Looking at the members map, I seem to be out on a limb somewhat.
I have the allotment in my own back yard. Well various veg plots, spread about, But i'm about to move some of the chicken coops and their runs to the orchard, and then create four veg beds to do the rotation system. The ground where the chickens are, has been stripped nicely. So i will only have a few weeds to get out and begin the process. But due to the weather this spring it's been delayed. I'll have to crack on and get the coops moved next weekend, and get the beds dug over the following week. Then get my beans etc in.

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2008, 21:48:22 »
Surfing the allotment site always nice to find something Welsh. As you might see i live in Maidenhead but come fromNewport.One of myBrother's has got an allotment in Newport

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2008, 07:17:09 »
peasmad,  my friend has just bought a caravan at Caebach, which she tells me has a view of Newquay from the beach. So you have an orchard.....no of course I'm not jealous >:( ;D

What types of fruit do you grow?

MAidenheadtaff, yes, the name is a bit of a giveaway ;D

Did anyone get frost last night? It was cold here, but no frost. I have planted out some tomatoes and squash, so I am hoping it stays well away.

cj :)

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2008, 07:30:24 »
[attachment=1]

I keep forgetting to take my camera over the lottie, but here are pics of my view at home.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2008, 07:33:22 »
[attachment=3]

[attachment=2]

Will see if I can find out how to get them bigger.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 07:34:59 by carolinej »

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2008, 07:34:03 »
morning all Maidenhead im from Cwmbran  Hi Caroline hi my Squash were fine was out at 06.00 this morning checking them they will slow down from what i understand but it wasnt cold enough to worry  

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2008, 07:36:42 »
Gald to hear it, Daileg ;D Yes, I heard that cold will slow them down, but hopefully we will get a scorching sumer so they will catch up ;D ;D ;D

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2008, 07:38:50 »
this weeks temp looks about 16 average day temp my greenhouse was 10 degrees last night toms are comming on nice what you get done this weekend then everyone

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2008, 07:58:41 »
Not a lot , as I was busy, but watered greenhouses every day.Transplanted some basil into bigger pots. I bought the 'Spice boys' pack, with lots of diffrent types. I LOVE basil ;D

Also tied string around my sweet pea wigwams, as they are getting away nicely now, and needed something to twirl around.

Noticed the sweetcorn has germinated over the lottie. The ones at home were put in a little later, so they arent up yet.

Picked some pak choi. Not impressed really, tastes like cabbage (I'm not keen on cabbage :P)

Going to sow some more lettuce today. I like having an assortment, so a few of lots of types for me ;D

I'm hoping to get over the lottie this afternoon, and give all the beds a hoeing.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2008, 08:03:53 »
so some more omions and leeks yesterday as i want them for later in the year didnt get as much in as i would of liked  :'( dug some more of my lottie as its fairly new might be oofered a new one complete with shed and green house  ;D put my name down for it on first refusal the current holder hasnt worked it at all this year got more mares tail than i would like though plenty of strimming then lol ;D ;D

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2008, 21:32:26 »
daileg, sounds like a good plot, even though it will be hard work with all the marestail.

Went over my lottie tonight. Most of the squash have gone white, keeled over and died. I will sow some more in the morning, and hope they get a long enough season.

I took the dog, and wondered why she was sniffing around one of the raised beds. Then I saw it :o :o :o :-X

The back half of a dead rat (obviously, I suppose ::) ). It looked like a cat or something had been eating the insides of it. I was going to put it on the compost heap, but, being a bit queasy with that sort of thing, decided to wait till tomorrow in the hope that the resident fox or something else may get rid of it for me.

Last week there was a dead blackbird on the same bed. A cat of regular habits or a cursed raised bed :o ;D

Just for the record, I did manage to move the dead bird to the compost heap. It was very unpleasant, but I was chuffed I managed it with only a few quiet ,'Yeuk, yeuk yeuk's from me.

Hope you all avoid the frosts. Our Derek on Radio wales reckons 2degrees >:(

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2008, 23:14:53 »
There seem to be a number of us in Monmouthshire with gardens or allotments so would it be worth trying to meet up somewhere?

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2008, 07:13:55 »
How about a mass mares tail massacre on dailegs new plot ;D ;D ;D ;D

One group last year met at Barnsdale, and had Geoff Hamilton's son to do a talk. They also had a seed swap.Now that's organised for you!!!!

Anyone get frost last night? Looks nice out of my window this morning, but the sun has been up for a while, so may have been one.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2008, 07:43:26 »
your all welcome and ill even through in some welsh cakes lol :D :D :D :D

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2008, 07:47:38 »
I'll get my coat.....pop the kettle on ;D ;D ;D

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2008, 07:47:47 »
no frost last night but thwere again was out anyway to fleece last night jake frost didnt come knocking on my door lol

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2008, 07:48:45 »
No, cos I bet he was too busy dancing around MY lottie ;D ;D ;D

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2008, 08:04:33 »
your all welcome and ill even through in some welsh cakes lol :D :D :D :D

You should be promoting koeksusters lol.... and gem squash!!.
Hope you work in a springbokkie cap too!!...

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2008, 08:07:31 »
mora masie ek het all me clera an van ek is op de plass lol

ive got all my colours on when im digging has to be green

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal