Author Topic: Where exactly is your allotment? - Region - Wales  (Read 51644 times)

carolinej

• Hectare
Re: Where exactly is your allotment? - Region - Wales
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2007, 20:47:17 »
I'm Welsh, but I confess that I speak better French than Welsh :-[ It's not used that much in our area. There are Welsh schools, but they are exceptions rather than the norm.

cj :)

powerspade

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2007, 20:57:04 »
How do I put a map of my lottie on here ? please?

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2007, 22:40:35 »
If I remeber rightly, you click on 'Profile' on the top bar and scroll to the bottom of that page. That's for the Google Earth map.

Hope that helps

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2007, 23:37:33 »
Looks like I'm in a minority here, my allotment is on the marvelous Isle of Anglesey. At sea level, south facing with a castle next door. Now I know what I spent years waiting for!

Can wave across the Menai Straits at you  ;D - though sounds like I have to wave up the Menai Straits. My guess of your whereabouts would be Beaumaris - oops, should have continued reading the rest of the posts before replying!

Perhaps a meet up at a cafe in one of the garden centres after Xmas - Holland Arms, Fron Goch and all that have turned into Tinseltown for the season.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 23:39:43 by Multiveg »
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2007, 15:10:21 »
My plot site is behind McDonalds. In some ways, this is handy, especially if caught short (not referring to compost activator) when the supermarket it is opposite is shut (i.e. on a Sunday).
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

lottieowner

• Not So New ...
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2007, 21:51:13 »
HI there
am in Wales too-Caerleon,Gwent.Any one from Gwent out there?  8)  8)  8)

sims girl

• Quarter Acre
  • my daughters pet
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2008, 14:30:07 »

;D hi sweet pea

like your self l am a Yorkie how has moved to wales after moving a lot [l know that you are walish] as well but left there when l was 6 but l have landed in a great place in wales in the Conwy area it views are great and my lottie has a really nice view just thought l would say hi to you and all the other lottie owner

;D

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2008, 07:58:01 »
lottieowner,

I'm in mid glam. My son has friends in Newport. Does that count ;D

It's not fair though. There are only a couple of miles between us, but you get much better weather >:( The valleys are always so much colder than at the coast. Last year we chcked the temperature when we were in Cardiff. It was 24 degrees. By the time we travelled home to Bargoed, it was 17 degrees!

Wet here this morning. What about the rest of Wales?

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2008, 19:36:18 »
I've got a mate living in Newport, does that count?

It's been vile here today, sunshine and showers my eye - how about torrential downpours and a quick sparkle...... :(

Why is it that everyone who learned Welsh in school and doesn't now speak it can always remember Rhydwin hoffi coffi???? Rofl  ;D ;D

Oh Caroline, all but one of the pepper seeds germinated and are now getting very tall!  Just threw them in the plastic greenhouse today.
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2008, 22:11:50 »
Why is it that everyone who learned Welsh in school and doesn't now speak it can always remember Rhydwin hoffi coffi?

And wy wedi berwi (or something like that ;D)

Smileyk

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2008, 16:43:32 »
I thought I'd posted here once but obvciously I didn't  ::)

I'm in Rogiet which is between Newport and Caldicot (near the second severn bridge).

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2008, 21:23:39 »
Hello smileyk,

nice to have you around. ;D

The weather is a bit milder with you than here in the Rhymney valley. Can you see the bridge from your house?

My Mum's Aunty used to live in Caldicot, though I'm not sure exactly where.

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2008, 22:59:00 »
I did post on here ages ago, live about three miles from Chepstow, Monmouthshire (Casgwent, Sir Fynwy) and from the bottom of the garden can see both Severn bridges. I am basically self sufficient in fruit and veg and grow lots of flowers for colour.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2008, 06:26:00 »
Toadspawn, do you eat only seasonal fruit and veg, or do you store a lot? I would like to grow all my own but

1. I am still having a bit of hit and miss with my crops.

2. I dont have a lot of storage space.

3. I havent got the hang of working out how much I will need.

Hopefully I will get better at it as I go along. Having 2 vegetarians and a vegan in the house means we get through tons of veg.

Any advice?

It might be a nice idea if we all post a pic of our views, either from home, the lottie or both ;D. It's a nice day, so I'll try to get some pics today. It's still a bit misty at the mo. Nothing quite as spectacular as a Severn crossing view for me ::)

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2008, 07:40:14 »
hello everyone im also from walws live and grow in Cwmbran Torfaen Gwent whatever you prefer i have recently overhauled my back garden aswell im growning various Squash amongst a lot of other things loving my new greenhouse makes life so much easier

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2008, 10:26:38 »
Hi daileg,

I grew squash for the first time last year. I think it was a bit too wet for them (or I cant grow squash ::))

I had a few, but quite a few plants gave up and died. This year, I am trying again.

How big is your greenhouse? Are you planning to grow anything exotic in there?

Son's gf is from Griffithstown.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2008, 10:49:04 »
im growing three different types of sguash sunrise , gemsquash and some other i got from lidle but cant remember the name of ive got an aloe in there my greenhouse is about 1.98 x 2.24 meters have toms  sowed some spinnach yesterday peppers and will be growing some chillies and cuc soon as i can get some seeds have some 50 pots on the go at the moment all three inch

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2008, 23:50:11 »
Caroline
I tend to eat fruit and veg in season often straight from the garden rather than cooked. Any surplus is frozen although not everything because I never freeze kidney(runner) beans because they taste foul. I have decided to clear out the freezer of all the fruit and veg frozen last year and even the year before and start this year from fresh again. I rarely buy anything from supermarkets prefering to use farm shops and farmers markets but only when I cannot use my own produce. As I live by myself I only grow the things I like.   

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2008, 07:05:12 »
daileg, I grew some spinach in my GH in pots. I put it out about a week ago, and the pigeons ate it all  in one morning >:(

Toadspawn, I'd like to grow more fruit, but my best crops are blackcurrans and rhubarb, which need cooking and loads of sugar. Saying that, my desert apple tree went bonkers last year, best crop ever, and I managed to get a load of them pureed and frozen. They didnt need any sugar.

I wonder how many strawberry plants I would need to be self sufficient in them?.................. ::)

Well, Wales is certainly enjoying some nice weather (well, at least where I am). It's sun tan lotion all round and meals in the garden. My gazebo gave up the ghost last season, so I've no shade at the mo. I am looking for one with the vent on the top, as it gets very windy in my garden. Has anyone been to The Range and noticed if they do any nice ones?

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2008, 07:34:37 »
they had some nice ones last year havent had they chance to go as of yet but allways a good choice i also have rhubarb up the lottie have about 8 plants all doing good picked a little allready as there was some nice shoots. got my spinach in pots so ill keep an eye. shouldnt have much of a problem with birds where  i am as there too many cats in the row i live in there must be at least 10 cats , more of a problem keeping them out the gardens than anything alse

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal