Author Topic: Is it time to cull the entire flock of hens?  (Read 3212 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Is it time to cull the entire flock of hens?
« on: June 25, 2007, 21:44:43 »
5 weeks ago I posted a topic of hens eating their own eggs. Out of 22 hens I am getting 1 sometimes 2 eggs daily. I have read all replies to the post, and have also been reading up on the topic. All literature suggests that once one hen starts the others copy. Once hens start eating eggs it is almost impossible to reverse this trend. The hens added last month are segregated individually. I have tried the mustard suggestion too - they ate them!

I intend to clean out the Cree this week, kill all mites etc with a sulphur bomb. Replace all bedding again. Cull the 4 I added 5 weeks ago. If there is no change by a week Saturday my intention is to cull the lot and start fresh if there is no pick up. Any other ideas welcome prior to next weekend.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
Re: Is it time to cull the entire flock of hens?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 12:49:42 »
Sorry to hear that ktlawson I have no remedies for you but can only think what a horrible thing to have to do as I keep 4 hens at home and one baby chick. Baby chick photo on my blog. I would be most upset to have to start again with all my birds.

When you cull them do you eat them or get rid? I will have to cull a couple next year and was wondering what to do with them.

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 14:54:28 »
My only suggestion might be to ask the folk over at the River Cottage forum or the Practical Poultry forums, to see if they have any ideas..

I'd only cull if the intention was to eat them.. otherwise it seems a bit of a waste.

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 16:40:42 »
Its a waste to keep feeding and watering if your not getting any eggs. I don't know what to suggest KT. How about splitting them up to try to find the culprits. As above i'd try river cottage site before culling, i hope you don't have to mate.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 20:37:41 »
They are already separated. I have gone to 4 other sources other than this site  and all the responses have been to cull. Cleaned everything out tonight so all bedding etc is fresh. They are not really fat enough for the table so will be culled. Other option would be to let them out in the wild.....?

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 21:28:57 »
I'm sure you have already tried it kt but how about their feed?  Have you changed it recently or might it be an idea to try a different one as a last ditch attempt to force them into lay?

only 3 of my 7 are laying at the moment & I tell the others they are a 'waste of space' but they are pets & so they will live their lives out with us whatever though I have got 3 new chicks half grown now who I hope will keep up the egg production.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 21:54:07 »
They get laying pellets, corn & maize, greens, bread, fruit, grit. I have even added a supplement specifically to aid egg laying. All has had no joy. I have now posted a 2nd topic on the next breed to buy as the weekend is drawing in.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 15:18:58 »
Is there a local kid's petting farm you could donate them to?

If you turn them out into the 'wild' they'll be prey to foxes within about 5 minutes.
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 19:40:31 »
I placed one cracked egg on the ground in the chicken run this evening. Within seconds - 9 hens were eating it. There is a field that has loads of the same variety hens in running free. Mine have now all joined them.

Gonna go to market next weekend to get some more. I will also clean out the cree again even though I only did it yesterday.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 20:44:18 »
Just wondered if you have a local breeder near you.  I found one by Googling - might be safer than a market.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 21:16:45 »
Just wondered if you have a local breeder near you.  I found one by Googling - might be safer than a market.
Its an animal auction just off the A19, near Thirsk. Nearest breeder is 2 hours away. Most shut down & sold up with Bird Flu kicking about.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 22:13:34 »
Hi,

I don't keep chooks (yet) so tell me to shut up if you need to, but I've been reading loads on keeping them, to prepare myself for when I do.

One thing that all of the books say is that if the hen can see the egg she'll peck it, but if you keep them really dark in the coop that it should stop the problem.

A quote from 'Starting with Chickens - a beginners guide' (Katie Thear - 2006 - Broadleys Publishing) says "...Nest boxes should be in the darkest area of the house.  Placing a 'curtain' of plastic strips across the entrancde to the nest box is effective in making it a laying only area.  Eggs tend to be pecked if they are easy to see.  If none of these work, consider getting some 'rollaway' nest boxes.  THese are sloped so that as an egg is laid it rolls backwards and lands in a collection gully which a probing beak can't reach.'

I hope this helps you.  I also hope I don't have this problem when I've got my own ones!!
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 22:46:38 »
SnooziSuzi:
Done it all except the roll away trough. My nests are fixed, & short of starting over it wasnt worth the hassle. Too much involved to change what I have. Was never a problem until I added the 4 I was given 6 weeks ago. Lesson learned :only to add stock from reputable breeder.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 10:55:22 »
Its natural instint to eat cracked eggs, I on occasions have dropped an egg in the hen house and see them eat it.
Remember its their job to lay a clutch of eggs for sitting ( old habits die hard) and if one is not right they will eat it. Be it cracked soft shell or shell less.
Sometimes hens need extra protine which eggs provide, so grated cheese, pro bio youget or cat food ( fishy sort) all illegal (Defra) or back on growers pellets for a week or two? my broodys did well on them.
Sometimes its the shell for grit, I always have a tub of grit in run I have a lovely hen who lays a rubbish egg and sometime lucky to get it whole or the hens get it but the others they leave alone.
Were they all laying? or not?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 22:49:27 »
All had stopped laying weeks ago.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 22:58:08 »
well if you decide to get rid of them let me know and I'll buy them off you - I just need some beak power to clear my second lottie of weeds and they can manure it as they go along!  Am just up the A19 in Durham  ;D
SnooziSuzi

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 19:27:25 »
Sorry. All hens went 10 days ago. If I had known then you could of had them for free. Would you really of wanted non productive hens though?

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 20:00:21 »
aw!   :(  Never mind. 

Yes,  all I need is a biological method of clearing and manuring lottie #2.

Birds that are laying wouldn't necessarilly be a problem, but I don't eat that many myself.  I suppose I could get a breed that didn't produce many in a week...  I'll have to keep looking for a local supplier.  Were pretty rural up here so I don't think that will be a problem.

:D
SnooziSuzi

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 19:45:21 »
hi kt  roll away boxes are the best answer  and also just about any hen will eat a cracked or broken egg
 if it happens again get some red hot chilli pepper and inject it into a couple of eggs and leave it for them to get  i promise once they have all had a dose of this they wont want any more in a hurry
also kt thirsk is not the closest poultry sales to you  there is one every two weeks at seamer just outside middlesbroughsorry i was not around latley to answer your questions but times so short and so much to do this time of year  kindest regards mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal