Author Topic: Allotments - paying for themselves?  (Read 4662 times)

Belinda

• Half Acre
  • Still learning
Re: Allotments - paying for themselves?
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 14:14:31 »
I think your allotment sounds expensive, ours is £30 for a full size one. Then again others pay even more. This thread from last year also leads to another from the year before.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=17707.msg182441#msg182441

mellor

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 20:00:10 »
my 1000sq yard worth are costing me just under a £100 a year and its going up every year. Good old council!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 00:05:15 »
Our full size plots are £15 pa.. for 300 sq yds... and I'm the meanie treasurer that had it put up from £10 last year!!!
 :-X

iain

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 08:07:07 »
my rent is £13.50 per year for a full plott.
plot size is 10m x 25m we are allowed shads , greenhouses.

gixer

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2007, 20:45:55 »
We took over our plot in april and had to purchase some things, so we have spent a bit up front, but once bought, things like spade's won't need replacing for a long time. We realised very early on that this had to be a long term project and that not too expect too much this year. I'm hoping that next year when we get the whole site cleared and planted, we will see the benifits from our out lay this year and i agree with every one else the threaputic benefit has been huge.
A month ago i was having a stress full time at work and the only thing that got me through was being able to get up there on the plot in the fresh air and do some hard physical work.
The cost is well out weighing the fun we are having. Wish we had done it years ago
oh and i was thinking that our plot was expensive at £21 a year for a full plot untill that last message, who decides how much to charge?

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2007, 22:42:07 »
my rent is nearly £40 per year (half = water charges).  This Spring I spent £40+ on potting compost, but got my seeds in the .25p Wyvale sale, so they were pretty cheap. Pond liner was expensive, but it was a birthday present and the frogs do appear to be helping with the slugs.  I inheirited my tools and my Greenhouse was free from a friend.  I've had to buy pots, fleece etc but it can all be reused.  Oh and best £25 I ever paid out was for my manure  8)

The payback in wildlife, satisfaction and enjoyment is priceless.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2007, 22:46:13 »
The payback in wildlife, satisfaction and enjoyment is priceless.

Exactly.  Who cares how much it costs - saying "thank you" to Mrs Blackbird for taking a snail off your plot - yes that's priceless.
The Tuscan Beaneater

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2007, 13:27:59 »
Treat it as a hobby, if you were going to football it would cost a fortune, the gym membership or re furbing an old car. You get fresh air, exercise, peace and quiet and meet new friends, so money you lay out on tools etc would be spent else where any way. But one example I will give on saving shopping money, the baby carrots I pulled, for the same size and about 16 of them were £1.38 in tescos and I had two lots in two days so it will mount up a bit.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2007, 13:40:03 »
Does anyone keep an exact tally of their produce over a season?

I recently bought "The £2 garden' from eBay, a booklet by Geoff Hamilton where he limited his expenditure to £2 a week and tried to grow enough veg for an average family (I'm guessing that amount would have to rise by quite a bit today, this was written in 1984 I think). It encouraged the reusing and recycling methods he was famous for, homemade cloches and coldframes etc. and he compared his produce to shop bought, and made a theoretical profit at the end of a year.

I keep records of things that have grown well (or not, e.g Jeannines 'Shasta' cauli's are doing brilliantly compared to my 'Gypsy' ones in the same bed), but don't count or weigh produce.? perhaps I should.... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2007, 14:04:42 »
Hello

My uncle's plots in wales are own by a local farmer he has 2 x 10m x 25m plots he rents for £10.00 a year they can supply a shed for and extra £10 for the year or a greenhouse for £15.00 or both for the year but you have to pay for any damages to the farmer l forgot there is a £4.75 charge for the water if you want it so it works out not bad i think he pay's in total around £50.00 a year for both plots and the farmer is very hot on messy plots it's only a small allotment area around 20 or so plots all very neat and tidy.
But he does rotovates each plot every year and supplys a limited amount of compost & manure free also the farmer does a couple of markets and if you have overspill he will sell it for you take a little cut and give you the rest back and if they need anything he is pretty easy going my uncle has a bad back so the farmer gave him some corragated sheets to raise is beds along with timber.  
The only downside is that the farmer allows his chickens and sheep to wander and if your not careful they eat everything insight also you have to dodge the ram i have already been chased a few times  :o

Cheers
Brogusblue
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 14:08:31 by Brogusblue »
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2007, 20:35:55 »
I bet the welsh love them bloody sheep wandering around.  :P :P :P 8) :o   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2007, 12:04:53 »
Hello

I properly offend the welsh but my sister said the reason for the welsh to have over sized boots is that they can stick the back legs of the sheep in there wellies also ram raiding in england is one thing but in wales in means something else  :D

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2007, 14:46:36 »
In the red or black? Quite a mix of replies and other good reasons to own an allotment...another one is; If you wern't down the plot where would you be? Maybe being dragged round your OH type of shops....I hate bag shops and having to walk up and down so my OH can see how it 'swings'.... :o

steveuk

• Half Acre
  • Good map point is on my patch
    • My Allotment Patch
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2007, 19:52:46 »
I pay £5.00 year for my plot  ;D
If i knew were to start i would LoL
http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2007, 20:15:23 »
In the red or black? Quite a mix of replies and other good reasons to own an allotment...another one is; If you wern't down the plot where would you be? Maybe being dragged round your OH type of shops....I hate bag shops and having to walk up and down so my OH can see how it 'swings'.... :o

I would love to see that  ;D ;D ;D
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2007, 14:18:34 »
I have never thought of that Ken. Don't make my OH come shopping but might now and he'll have you to blame ha haa!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2007, 14:48:35 »
HI Guys,

My plot is 35ft by 90ft and cost me £30 last year and £15 the previous year i think. Were allowed sheds and greenhouse to a limited size. Water is included as is ready to use compost, horse manure and wood chips.

I probably spent £400 last year ( tools, shed, shed base, wood for raised bed, membrane, seeds & seed potatoes )

This year i have spent £250 so far on wood, strimmer , seed potatoes.

Next year i will probably add more wood to increase the height of my raised beds but with the price of wood what it is i am going to hold off doing it this year. And the price of my plot will probably go up but no idea what to.

I have not quite got the delivery of what we need when we need it right as I cant really store produce, and my plot cant really be worked past october and popping up for harvests limited due to high winds and poor weather.

That said as KenKew says if i did not have an allotment where would i be. Well having had 3 months off work and looking at another 3 months if i did not have my allotment i would be 2 stone heavier and currently living in a padded cell.

The ground is a lot softer as its been worked so i am hoping for some good crops of potatoes rather than having to dig heavy clay to find i have put a fork though the good potatoes and the worms/slugs have got the rest.

We did not have to buy onions for a month this year and if my carrots ever get going i should have enough there for another month. I have salad crops and tomatos on the plot this year which is new and my parsnips seam to be thriving, So i am hoping that later this year we should have more crops coming from the plot.

And maybe even some veg for my parents for christmas which would give me a good feeling as i have not been able to do this. Especialy if i can make a couple of pots of redcurrant jelly for christmas dinner
:-)

Cambourne7

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2007, 15:17:52 »
Deb P i would love to read that £2 garden book tried getting it on line would you lend it me if i paid postage both ways?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2007, 15:20:09 »
No probs, pm me with your address ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2007, 20:25:20 »
I think we may be one of the dearest, 25.00 for our association 25.00 to the ruddy club and 10.00 for a club membership as you have to be a member to have an allotment..this i s for half of what we used to have before they flattened it for the new club !!
trouble is, there are no others around our area  :(   :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal