Author Topic: Lunar Gardening, fact of fiction.  (Read 3560 times)

cazy

• Acre
Lunar Gardening, fact of fiction.
« on: June 04, 2007, 12:40:53 »
Saw a bit on TV about gardening in conjuction with the moons influences, ascending, waxing, decending etc.  Would love to hear others views and oppions, or, should they lock me up now!
got a lottie got a life

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Lunar Gardening, fact of fiction.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 13:29:54 »
Hiya, cazy and welcome, there was a whole thread on this, I'm not sure what it was called, maybe if you use the search above, you may be able to find it, otherwise, someone'll come along in a minute with the info  ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 14:37:49 »
Fact or Fiction

In my opinion coincidence might be a better term when you consider that there is a relationship between the calendar and the phases of the moon.

I work to a diary (calender, almanac if you like) meaning that at given times of the year this fits in with phases of the moon +/- a day or two.

I researched it once and that was my conclusion hence my 'diary' approach.

This is the results of my research;  http://tinyurl.com/yx3xcw

cazy

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 16:02:58 »
many thanks.  I had a feeling there was something in it.  Will study the chart and have a go, it will be interesting to compare with previous plantings.  Good job I kept a diary and can check back on planting dates etc. against the chart.
got a lottie got a life

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 22:10:47 »
Fiction. With a capital eff.

cazy

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 11:52:06 »
"o yea of lttle faith"
got a lottie got a life

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 12:53:57 »
I've found this website (from an earlier thread on biodynamics) interesting - though primarily as a reminder about what needs planting and the section on companions rather than the lunar side of things.

cazy

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 13:28:44 »
thanks barnowl.  have done a bit of reseach, think it's a case of suck it and see.  but apparently the next two days are good for root veges.  i have some snips to plant out.  i will put a half in today and the rest at the "wrong" time but under exactly the same conditions.  will post the results.  after all they used to think the world was flat.  probably the lunar gardening theory was of  the same time.  egg on face?  :-\
got a lottie got a life

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 22:53:09 »
As far as  I know... with an MA in History they never thought the world was Flat...
The Ancient Greeks even worked out the circumference with a fair degree of accuracy!
 ::)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 22:58:18 »
We don't know what the peasants thought, but there's no evidence that the few educated people ever thought it was flat. The diameter was worked out sometime in the 2nd Century BC by a guy called Eratosthenes. Some texts like Genesis 1 read as though the authors thought it was flat, and the idea of a flat earth resulted from a woodenly literal reading by the medieval church.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 23:00:06 »
We never knew what the peasants thought... Mass observation was about as close as we ever got!
 :-\

cazy

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 08:53:58 »
Oh dear, feel a bit daft now :-[
got a lottie got a life

cazy

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 13:22:46 »
Nb  didn't mean the flat earth bit to be taken quite so seriously, but did want to do a bit of research on lunar gardening.  as a new lottie holder i have become addicted and thirsty for information on all aspects of gardening and found the topic on the telly fascinating, even the old die hards were changing their oppions. just wondered if any other a4a members had come across it or practice it? :(
got a lottie got a life

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 18:09:00 »
Its a pretty good question actually, was hoping that you would discover someone that was proficient in the technique.

Have read up a little on it but not sure if it does work significantly better.
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

cazy

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 21:46:30 »
nice to see a bit of interest coznbob, thank you.  take a look at the post below from Tee Gee, lots of info on the web site.  I'm doing a few trials and taking pics for ref, will post the results. nothing to lose.   :-\
got a lottie got a life

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 22:18:42 »
I have never tried this. Why? I simply haven't thought about it.
However I would not stick my neck out and say it didn't work because frankly I don't know that it doesn't and  when I think of lunar cycles and  the tides, I would keep an open mind on anything.

The post is  very interesting actually and do feel there is much out there that is scoffed at before it is tried and proven and that is a shame, because we wouldn't be were we are if we hadn't stayed open minded.

It would be great to hear folks experiences with this, and I shall be very interested to hear the results of your trials whichever way they go.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 22:15:46 »
Have you searched for it I seem to remember some interest was shown in it last year....
 8)

cazy

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2007, 00:48:00 »
If you mean searched on a4a, I have only been a member for a few weeks and still finding my way around.  Is there any way I can look up old posts? and any idea which section to look under?
I only got my lottie six weeks ago after a long wait but watched a lot of gardening programmes on the telly in the mean time.  I remember being fascinated by some initially sceptical real old timers talking about moon charts and their supprise at the amazing results achieved after following them.  They even had the charts pinned inside their sheds.  Ive found charts on the web and just wondered if any other a4a members use them and if they work.  I'm doing a few trials for myself just to see if there is anything in it.:-\
got a lottie got a life

cazy

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2007, 01:16:44 »
Hi Jeannine
Me too, keeping an open mind. felt it was worth a try though.  Have planted half my snips and peas out following the calender and the other half on the "wrong days".  rather than just bung them in when I or they were ready.  Not following it to the letter regarding fertilizer and watering, availability and weather dictate at the moment along with my lack of experience.  but fingers crossed and the absence of slugs I may get some results either way.   :-\
got a lottie got a life

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2007, 07:52:42 »
I'd love to try it out, but I'm never organised enough! Stuff has to go in when I've got time, whatever the moon's doing! But I'll be really interested to hear your results.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal