Author Topic: What veg can I grow in a small raised bed in scotland?  (Read 2064 times)

Haggismonster

• Not So New ...
  • Novice Gardener!
What veg can I grow in a small raised bed in scotland?
« on: June 06, 2007, 16:21:42 »
Hello - I am the new proud owner of a 1.2m x 1.2m raised veg patch, I have never grown before and need some advice!

I have three options of where to put said bed, 1 - on patio slabs, 2 on stone chips (this is my prefered place as I have more room there- is this an option if I put a permeable membrane down?), 3 on my lawn.

Once I have placed my bed I would like to grow carrots, squash, courgettes, herbs, and runner beans.  But I have read that some of these can take over which isn't an option in my small patch - will I be able to get all these things into this small space?  Especially since I live in Scotland which isn't warm all through the summer

If so what are the best varieties?  What do I grow them in? (can I just fill up the bed with peat free compost from B&Q?)

And lastly is it too late to grow from seed?  Where is a good place to get some cheap organic young plants (I have discovered that I am not very good at cultivating seed and making it live outside once I have a seedling!)

Please advise!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What veg can I grow in a small raised bed in scotland?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 16:37:09 »
there is a mehod called 'square foot gardening'..it is something like splitting your bed into feet square and growing a different type of veggie in each square..I'm not sure if there's a thread on here, try the search facility at the top of the page, or you could google it..may be square metre gardening, not sur..hope this helps..oh, and by the way, welcome  ;D

Haggismonster

• Not So New ...
  • Novice Gardener!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 16:40:29 »
thank you will try and find square foot gardening advice!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 17:02:26 »
carrots, squash, courgettes, herbs, and runner beans.

I would avoid the courgettes & squash if you can, one plant of each will take up more than your entire area.

Runner beans are OK as they grow vertically.

Herbs & Carrots will be OK

I think you would be best buying plants of beans & herbs as it is getting a bit late to start them off, having said that winters are becoming a bit later (if at all) these days so you could try direct seed sowing.

Carrots can be sown directly but sow them very thinly!

Haggismonster

• Not So New ...
  • Novice Gardener!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 17:08:06 »
what if i keep an eye on the courgette and squash?  I really want to grow them - or would I be better growing these in the conservatory in individual pots?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 18:52:02 »
Haggis - Courgette, Squash? THREE FEET!

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 20:04:52 »
    ;D   Can you grow your courgette in a big pot or bucket and train it up trellis or bamboos,?.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 20:06:51 »
Why can't I delete that?? It came up time expired whilst I was working on it.

Tried to say yes, you can grow Courgettes in a bag indoors.

And as TG says - plus Salad Leaves, Beetroot, Radish, Cucumbers - grown up poles.

Haggismonster

• Not So New ...
  • Novice Gardener!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 10:21:48 »
hmm think i will try runner beans,  herbs and carrots and maybe onions and grow courgettes and peppers inside the conservatory.......

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 10:37:41 »
I'm in Edinburgh and I grow courgettes outdoors. If you grow iin a bag or a pot you could move it indoors if frost threatens later in the year. Runner beans will also die in frost but mine usually keep going at least till the end of September. Most of the roots are hardier and take up less space. Onions are good, but bear in mind that 1.2m square is NOT a huge area. Have a look at recommended planting distances for what you want and plan your plot on paper before you start. Also different types of plants have different nutritional requirements.

Sorry I'm making this really complicated and it isn't.

Check out the final size of what you want to grow.
Plan it on paper. Once you know what will fit get your seeds/ plants.
http://www.organicplants.co.uk/ is one source of organic plants although the June selection isn't too promising for you. (brassica and cut and come again salads). Others will have other places to suggest. Good luck.

Haggismonster

• Not So New ...
  • Novice Gardener!
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 10:55:18 »
Hi - I live near wishaw and although it can be hot in the garden (bit of a suntrap), when its cold its very cold.

So my plan now is - grow courgettes, peppers, a climbing squash and aubergines in my conservatory.

And outside grow carrots, runner beans, herbs, onions and sprouts?

But can I grow them in peat free compost or should I be mixing something else in with it?  Also can I put my raised bed on concrete?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 12:25:05 »
I wouldn't put it on concrete because the drainage probably wouldn't be adequate. I don't see any problem with peat-free compost.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal