Author Topic: “Rake to a fine tilth”  (Read 5766 times)

autumn leaf

• Quarter Acre
  • So much to do and so little time!
“Rake to a fine tilth”
« on: April 08, 2007, 11:24:01 »
Am I doing something wrong?  All the book say that the soil should be raked to a fine tilth before planting seeds,  After digging over the soil I am left with clods of earth that rapidly take on the texture of grapefruit-size balls of cement that seem resilient to raking - a small lump hammer might do the trick!  Is there a knack to it? :-\
Weeds? What weeds?

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: “Rake to a fine tilth”
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 11:48:14 »
I know what you mean! Don't think I've ever achieved a "fine tilth", but I find that bashing the lumps with the back of the rake can help. Also, putting down a thin layer of compost (commercial, since that's usually fairly fine) and sowing into that gets the seeds off to a good start.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 12:11:36 »
You need to cultivate it with   a cultivator. then rake rake.

I've got a cultivator like this,

But this type is more common, but not as good in IMO.

Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 12:17:05 »
If the soil is of poor quality the textbook 'fine tilth' will be just a dream but the sequence of events leading up to producing the seedbed is as follows:

1. Dig the ground, preferably during the winter months.
2. Leave it to weather for a time while you recover from the digging.
3. Break down the clods using a 3-tine skuffle by hand or using a powered rotovator.
4. Now the soil should be rakable to a tilth.

The standard test for a fine tilth is to hold the rake at the end of the handle, raise the head about 1 metre from the ground then let the head drop to the surface. If all the teeth of the rake penetrate fully into the soil you have succeeded otherwise rake it some more. All those horrid lumps are caused by a lack of humus in the soil and incorporating loads of manure and compost annually will improve matters.

Remember when you are reading that most authors copy ideas from other books rather than actually digging wild allotments for experience.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 12:34:47 »
Yes, like Caroline says, whacking them with back of rake definately helps break them up. You can also do this with your fork while you're digging it over. Mine looked like the perfect fine tilth when i first did it, but on returning the next day found it was like yours. Think when it dries out it naturally clods together like this. I like the look of the first cultivator that keef showed though. Going on wish list i think.  8)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 13:41:38 »
As we are on a clay based soil and have had no rain for three weeks a fine tilth is not going to happen, even on beds I know from experience can be worked to a good tilth...
 :-\

autumn leaf

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 14:13:38 »
Thanks folks - it's good to know it isn't just me.  I dug it over in the winter and left it for the frost to do its stuff, then I raked it with a 3-tine skuffle (although had no idea that was what it was called) - I will look for the one Keef recommended next time.  Then I raked it and raked it and raked it.  I will definitely try to improve the soil by adding compost and perhaps over time it will be easier.  What a lovely weekend!  Hope you are all enjoying it - and thanks for your advice.  :) :) :)
Weeds? What weeds?

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 15:40:47 »
I have found watering beds full of clods then leaving it for an hour for the water to really work in helps with raking to a tilth - I don't have clay though.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 18:07:49 »
Hi Autumn, Hi all  :)

On our site we rake to a fine dust .....  ::)

Its the other extreme of soil types. Just keep adding
leaf mould and muck and any other organic stuff you
can find. It will improve over the years.

Best of luck, Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 22:04:21 »
I've planted all sorts of stuff, including very small seeds, among great clods, and had them come up. A fine tilth is ideal, at least at the actual point where the seed is (you don't need it anywhere else), but seeds will manage with a lot less. I wonder how many farmers achieve a fine tilth? Shovel the organic matter in, and you'll soon change the texture for future years. Meanwhile, make do with what you've got, and the seeds will manage.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 23:54:46 »
I can manage it in places on my plot, but as soon as I reach the vein of orange clay, then no chance.  I tend to save the places where I can't get a good tilth for planting plantlets rather than sowing seeds.  As I rake, rake and rake some more, I always end up with a pile of 'mud nuggets' which I rake up into a pile at the edge of the plot, and over the weeks, if we have a drop of rain, they do crumble down and I can redistribute it.  I put lashings of compost and rotted poop on my plot and it is still like concrete in places!

autumn leaf

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 19:31:28 »
Robert, you are right - I'm sure farmers don't sow in a fine tilth - and Emma, I've read lots of your posts and I know how productive your plot has been.  I spent a lot of time over the easter break doing my best with skuffle and rake.  I'm pleased with my efforts, have blisters on my hands to prove that I've tried and will leave the rest to nature. :) :)
Weeds? What weeds?

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 19:50:54 »
Hi Eristic  tried your rake test and it just bounced back up   ???
think I have some way to do before a fine anything

my top bits feel more like concrete than anything else >:(

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 21:12:43 »
Hi Eristic  tried your rake test and it just bounced back up
  :o

You have my sympathy as my own plot is no better. Keep shovelling the manure and it will improve.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 00:20:15 »
Tried to get the 4 prong cultivator as shown in your picture Keef. Went to B&Q- they don't sell them. They have a 3 pronged one for £18 but it is a straightened version of the 3 claw rotovator. ( My brother in law says the 3 prong ain't so good)Where would be the best place?
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 00:23:41 »
You could get an old or cheap fork, bend the prongs over and put a broom handle on it.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 00:29:30 »
I have an old fork. Will bend the prongs and see how it goes. (Saved £18, thanks ;D ;D)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 17:42:51 »
You might have to heat up the prongs to be able to bend them.

Light a big bonfire stick the fork head in the seat of that for a while once its got going, that way you can bend all the prongs at once - i sense a trip to casualty maybe on the cards  ;D ;D....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 17:46:07 by keef »

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 19:32:39 »
OMG I'm sooooo glad it's not just us!!!!!!!!

We've just been up and tried to rake to a fine tilth to put some carrot seeds in, but it was ridiculous!   :o  ::) 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 19:40:17 »
I have to say that my Mantis cultivator, which was a real extravagance when I bought it, is well worth it. For anyone that keen, they're well recommended by me - it's the only thing that gets the soil to a superbly 'fine tilth' in next to no time.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal