Author Topic: Afghan Purple Carrot  (Read 25343 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Afghan Purple Carrot
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2007, 08:40:29 »
Just an update. This is one of the very few things I still have,they are growing well in the greenhouse at home. About 10 inches tall now and thriving. I want to let them go to seed and save the seeds for us all next year but have never done this. There is no need to worry about cross pollination as there is no carrots anywhere near them.No carrot fly either as they are on a high bench. Has anyone got any tips! I plant to taste only 2 i coked and 1 raw, the rest are for us all.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2007, 09:18:48 »
Jeannine, have a look at this site. Scroll down and there's an instruction for saving carrot seeds. Hope it goes well. :)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2007, 17:18:54 »
i thought carrots were biennial, so you would store your carrots over winter and replant next year - they will then seed next year.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2007, 09:16:30 »
Doh! I forgot to paste URL of the site! :-[ I read your other post and now know you've read the site I meant...

All I know about getting carrot seeds is select the best carrots and keep them in moist sand or something during winter, replant it in spring and let it bolt. They cross pollinate so you have to make sure there's no other variety or related species like Ammi (Queen Anne's Lace) flowering at the same time.

little-weed

• Not So New ...
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2007, 12:21:53 »
Hi
I have just become a member of the HSL I received Burpees Iceburg Lettuce seeds. I will put the Afghan Purple down for next year and hope to get them if I am lucky. I will let them go to seed and put them up for the swap. I would like to be part of your seed swap if thats OK . I am hoping to have my allotment this October if my council can get it ready in time for me, I would like to grow heritage veg. I went to Wyevale and if you buy 2pkts of T&M seeds ( Half price at the moment ) you can get Heritage  Beetroot Chioggia Pink Free (they are the ones that have red and white rings inside ) and you get lots of seeds  if anyone would like a few seeds please ask

little- weed :0)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2007, 18:21:04 »
Hi Littleweed If been HSL for about 15 years if you want some Peas/Beans (fr) or Toms pm me and I'll dig you some out of store... the Bronze Arrow lettuce is great as well but I don't save my own seed of that!
 ;D

little-weed

• Not So New ...
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2007, 06:49:44 »
Hi Saddad
I have sent you a pm please would you let me know if you receive it as I'm not sure how it works

little-weed :0)

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2016, 20:24:02 »
How did you fare with these carrots....and do they taste nice. I got them in my HSL packet this time round :)
Jackie

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2016, 21:37:01 »
Gosh that is a blast from the past, it was a time when they were so scarce and I got a few from a school in the US and shared them around.To be honest I don't remember, I did get them to make seed which I shared but never made them a regular grow . I can't even remember the taste except that they were not as nice as my favorite ones so didn't pursue them again.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2016, 22:30:42 »
Thanks Jeannine :)
Jackie

playground

• Not So New ...
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2016, 13:56:15 »
I was just wondering...

What's the rationale for growing Afghan Purple Carrots ?

- Do they grow better ?
- Are they healthier, in some way ?
- Do you people simply like the 'purple'...not orangeness.. of these carrots ?
- Do they taste better then other home/allotment grown carrots ?
- Do they give a heavier harvest (in pounds or kilos) ?

Thanks to anyone/everyone that replies :-)

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2017, 09:12:36 »
Can i refresh this post to ask same questions as playground in the post above mine  :)

I still have my seed from last year and wondering if we are still wanting for this site
Jackie

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2017, 10:13:29 »
I was just wondering...

What's the rationale for growing Afghan Purple Carrots ?

- Do they grow better ?
- Are they healthier, in some way ?
- Do you people simply like the 'purple'...not orangeness.. of these carrots ?
- Do they taste better then other home/allotment grown carrots ?
- Do they give a heavier harvest (in pounds or kilos) ?

Thanks to anyone/everyone that replies :-)

Thanks Hector for reviving thread.  Purple vegetables are getting popular, because of the anthocyanin in them.  Mops up free radicals, prevents cancer etc etc.  We all learned about blueberries as superfood.  A small punnet costs a bomb, but the blueberry industry did a great advertising job.  Other purple foods, like blackberries, blackcurrants, and, yes, purple carrots and many more are also superfoods because of the purple in them, the anthocyanin.  Plants advertise their health giving properties by their colour.  Different colours stand for different nutrients.  This is the principle behind the 'eat the rainbow' diet advice.  Not just 5 a day or more veg, but all the colours too.  And purple carrots are giving us an extra 'rainbow option' in addition to orange carrots.  :wave:

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2017, 12:23:50 »
What a brilliant explanation! Thank you! I did well with a different carrot in a slightly raised bed a couple of years back...so will give this a go :)

Ps seen a message from you I missed...will respond after dog walk
Jackie

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2017, 14:32:55 »
James Wong last week was saying just this about purple potatoes and they compare g for g with blueberries unlike the price! He was asked if that applied to purple sweet potatoes too ...no reply but reading what galina has said quite possible so.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2017, 16:47:57 »
Oh definitely MarkfieldRover.  Here is a bit more about the scientific background:  http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/110308p34.shtml
also
http://dailysuperfoodlove.com/565/the-food-color-chart-infographic/
This one mentions purple carrots:
http://healthier.qld.gov.au/about/give-colour-a-spin/
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 17:05:46 by galina »

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2017, 11:23:48 »
Thank you galina , I'll pick up some sweet purple pots today. If you are anywhere near a Boston Tea Party they do a very good sweet pot dish lightly battered and served with a sour cream herby dip.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2017, 13:33:47 »
....are you growing Sweet Potatoes....never thought we could in UK...will watch with interest as they are a favourite food
Jackie

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2017, 18:51:29 »
I haven't but I know others have , have you eaten the purple ones ? Are  they less sweet?

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2017, 18:59:54 »
I've got some Heritage purple potatoes currently chitting.
Located in Royston, North Herts.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal