Author Topic: Making excuses not to go to the lottie...  (Read 5471 times)

dawn34

• Quarter Acre
Re: Making excuses not to go to the lottie...
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 14:00:54 »
thanks for good advice on here. when we took on our first lotty it was full of weeds we went mad and cleared the whole lot in a weekend, ached like i don't know what but we really enjoyed it, we got it april last year which was a bit late that's why we went mad on it, we got crops in and enjoyed what had been grown, since the warmer weather i have been going over on my own while my daughter at school and son in nursery (mornings only) i'm only over there for abour 1 hour and have really enjoyed it. The first lotty what we have isn't too bad got some weeds and grass which i'm trying to get rid of.
i really would agree to little and often i seem to have enjoyed this more than last year going full on, now i've got (we've) got to get started on the other one which is depressing if you see it, but looking a some of the pictures on here it isn't really that bad.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 16:58:15 »
You have to make your plot suit your lifestyle. When you have kiddies I think you are better to have small beds for planting. My daughter Bunjy has 8x3 beds and she iis putting straw paths around them. Our plot is next to hers and we have full rows but have straw paths. the kids know that they can walk on the straw and they love it. My hubbie shouts out to them "Hey you keep off the black stuff", They soon learn. She has 3 babbies under 5 so she can't spend all day up the plot digging, As she finishes a bed she tries to plant it. This has encouraged her to do the next one. Don't push yourself too much or you will get disheartened and that will defeat the object. Allotments are supposed to be enjoyable
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 17:17:14 »
can you cover up some of the area you're not working on, makes it look less and helps weaken the weeds and grass, as bennettsleg says, also cover any area you've dug, if you're not going to plant straight away..you'll get there, little and often,
spaf69,  i sympathise, my oh also has the dreaded depression  ..the plot's helped him so much  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 17:57:33 »
As already said, little and often, and look back on the rows already dug over for insparation.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

knbsallotment

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 18:24:15 »
Rather than a flask, I went and bought a little camping stove (gas), and a little kettle to make my coffee, I even bought a little camping toaster to go on it (£3.99) and a little pan - now i can have coffee n beans on toast when i'm cold hungry and fed up! Life is good!
Looking from the outside in...

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 19:09:50 »
Well, I go to the allotment for a couple of hours, and look how the thread has grown  ;)

Brilliant advice (is there any other sort here?) as usual. I went, I dug, I managed my 5 feet and I feel much better about it all. It was encouraging to see that the bits I've dug already haven't sprouted any new growth in the month I've been away (the rest of the lottie has!) so pulling up all of the perrenial roots must be worth it.

We're away this weekend, but I'm definitely goingto be back on Monday now that I'm re-motivated  ;D

Must take biccies next time though...and tea!

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 19:52:38 »
Hey LauraB, well done girl!  Little and often and you will get there in the end, don't forget though, there's no need to dig the whole thing at once, just dig enough to get your crops in & you'll feel like real progress is being made.  ;)

Camping stove & kettle sounds like the way to go, OH will be dead chuffed i've found yet more lottie related stuff to spend our hard earned dosh on  ::)
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2007, 23:03:10 »
Beat excuse, can't go down I am too busy on Allotments 4 all XX Jeannine

I have got to get a life
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Mrs T

• Not So New ...
  • Digging in February!
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2007, 07:59:27 »
Hi LaraB
I felt like you did, I got my lottie at the end of October, it was a right mess.  I wish I knew how to post pictures then I could show you.
Anyway, digging is all I seem to do as well, friends laugh at me, but I keep going cos the thought of summer, harvesting my crops and their jealous faces when I have all my lovely home grown stuff and save money will be ample reward!  Plus, I'll be dead fit and energetic by summer...I hope!
I always take a radio & snacks & drinks.  Keep going!
xx

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2007, 08:17:05 »
Beat excuse, can't go down I am too busy on Allotments 4 all XX Jeannine

I have got to get a life

my life this morning has been out in the shed for the past hour pricking out toms !

the rest of the world is asleep (apart from those on A4A).   ;D

just popped in for a f*g, a cuppa and some more seedlings.

our lives ain't bad.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2007, 16:10:04 »
Ok - where you've dug... rake over to a fine tilth and plant/sow something - potatos. peas whatever... then start diggin on your next section.. take a walk with a bucket and zig zag over your plot pulling the biggest weeds out... then go home and have a cuppa!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2007, 21:00:30 »
feeling mega guilty that i have not made it up to the allotment this weekend. But with the high wind and snow its just not going to happen.

I have managed to get all my seed pots filled and the propigators ready and there warming in my makeshift mini greenhouse but i am going away for a few days soon and with the high winds i darnt plant anything other then the few peas i have already started but at least the soil will warm up and i can plant them up when i get back.

I have been contemplating paying someone to do the last 3 beds for me he charges £10 an hour but I think that to get back on track it maybe worth it as my back is playing up. It means i can come back and just plant my beds and seed pots up.... I dont know what to do.... Help

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2007, 21:18:58 »
How long does he reckon it would take ?

Got to be worth considering.

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2007, 21:26:07 »
don't suppose it would be a problem, helps your back, helps him, provided he does as he says,  wins all round  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2007, 21:29:39 »
its about 3-4 hours work, hes got an allotment so i do trust him to do it right.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2007, 21:47:00 »
If you can afford it, it's got to be worth it, just to get back on top again !

;D

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2007, 12:00:33 »
I've just been up, but its so cold and flippin windy that I've come home.  Had another snow shower (sneeze and you'd miss it) but managed to prick out some seeds in the greenhouse, then a quick stomp around the plot to see if any enthusiasm might overtake me for digging or planting potatoes, but no, just cold.   :-\ is the weather going to improve this week or is this as good as it gets ?

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2007, 12:30:20 »
I've just been up, but its so cold and flippin windy that I've come home.  Had another snow shower (sneeze and you'd miss it) but managed to prick out some seeds in the greenhouse, then a quick stomp around the plot to see if any enthusiasm might overtake me for digging or planting potatoes, but no, just cold.   :-\ is the weather going to improve this week or is this as good as it gets ?
Blimey, that's exactly what i did yesterday. Was so cold and icy wind, but went down anyway, just coz so much to do, virtually turned straight round when I got there! Still, nice exercise coming back up the giant hill!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2007, 13:34:44 »
I'm looking forward to the switch to BST next weekend - at the moment can only get to the allotment in daylight at the w.e.'s.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2007, 13:38:41 »
Roll on BST - can't wait!  8)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal