Author Topic: How hot will a heated propagator get?  (Read 6130 times)

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
How hot will a heated propagator get?
« on: February 18, 2007, 20:53:30 »
I have some aubergine seed, and the packet says it needs 32 degrees Celsius to germinate  :o.  The heated propagator is standard seed tray size and will be kept indoors (room temperature approx 18).

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Re: How hot will a heated propagator get?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 22:10:17 »
I've just got a standard propagator & my aubie seeds germinate fine - sometimes take a while but I suspect they do anyway.

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 22:59:34 »
yep, they will be OK.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 00:28:42 »
Put a sheet of polystyrene underneath, and more heat will travel upwards rather than heating the table it's on.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 10:44:59 »
I find my heated prop. gets too hot- one day the seeds are nowhere to be seen and the next they are up & leggy! Not sure what to do about this, other than stick to non-heated ones!

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 13:09:46 »
Put a sheet of polystyrene underneath, and more heat will travel upwards rather than heating the table it's on.

Thanks, I'll try that  :).

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 15:58:02 »
You could invest in a small soil thermometer.

I am not sure if my one is dead accurate but it does give me sufficient guidance to up or down the temperature when required.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 23:01:13 »
I have a large Sankey heated propagator which I also found would get too hot. I bought a simple timer for £2.45, one with lugs for 15 minute intervals, set it 'on' for 15 minutes and 'off' for 45 minutes. It works perfectly - and doesn't produce leggy seedlings any more. Saves electricity too  8).

Tricia

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 19:39:49 »
What a great idea, tricia- I've got a timer so I'll definitely try that! Thanks.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 19:56:45 »
Really good idea & much cheaper than a propagator with heat settings.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 22:18:15 »
One week ago I sowed the aubergine seed which -I am quoting from the Real Seed Catalogue seed packet - requires warm soil (ideally 32C/90F) for 2-3 weeks to germinate/ Lower temps (min 25C/80 F) may work but will take a LONG time.
The room temperature is  a not excactly tropical 18C so I got out my electric propagator.
Two days ago I noticed the propagator wasn't working, so I bought a new fuse. It still didn't work, so  I went to Homebase and purchased the only electrical propagator they had in stock, in a box which had already been opened and overpriced at £16 considering it has a flimsy cover.  So the pot of seed has been in the new propagator for 6 hours and the seed is germinating :o  :o  :o! Conclusion: either this is a magic propagator OR the seed would have germinated happily without any extra heat

And now I'm worried I have started my aubs to early (I don't have a greenhouse, they will go in cloches).

dtw

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 19:07:38 »
The box would have needed to be opened by the fairies to insert the magic dust.  ;)

chappy

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 12:15:02 »
I have a large Sankey heated propagator which I also found would get too hot. I bought a simple timer for £2.45, one with lugs for 15 minute intervals, set it 'on' for 15 minutes and 'off' for 45 minutes. It works perfectly - and doesn't produce leggy seedlings any more. Saves electricity too  8).

Tricia

Brilliant idea.  My (heated propogated) seedling are always very leggy and just come out of nowhere.

And the electricity saving is a bonus.

Mahy thanks.

Chappy.

dtw

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 13:55:37 »
I must try that, chillies were ok, but the broccoli and okra were too leggy and had to be thrown away (on the compost heap of course!)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 15:59:09 »
I must try that, chillies were ok, but the broccoli and okra were too leggy and had to be thrown away

The Broccoli & Okra didn't really need a propagator to germinate they would have germinated at room temperature.

This is the case with many seeds that otherwise could be sown directly in to soil outdoors e.g. many vegetables & hardy annuals ( Check temps requ'd on packets)

This is one of the reasons I have three levels of heating in my greenhouse e.g.

Greenhouse kept at approx 40*-50*F(4*- 10*C)

Hotbed; approx 60*-70*F(16*- 21*C)

The propagator at 70*F + (21*C+)

Depending upon how quickly I want to push my brassicas I would just place them on the bench to germinate, if I wanted to speed up the process I would place them  on the  hot bed.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal