Author Topic: how do you dig?  (Read 10319 times)

Sprout

• Acre
Re: how do you dig?
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2007, 19:18:08 »
I use a fork for 'new' ground i.e to remove the couch/weeds and a spade for ground that's already been dug over and for digging in green manure. If you dig moving backwards, you won't then stand on soil that you have just dug over - perhaps that's what was meant by not standing on the soil?
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

Geo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2007, 01:13:19 »
I find it faster to use the digging hoe (AKA Azada). The only drawback is that it slices off the roots of anything that goes down deep, so I'd rather use the fork on those. The spade comes out occasionally for things that are so deep-rooted the fork won't shift them. I usually go backwards, except when I'm lifting spuds.

Hi Robert, I live in Brum..where can I buy an Azada?

Geo.. :)
"The earth meets the sky over the hill, I was told by a sparrow with a lump on his head."

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2007, 08:08:20 »
i can't offer you anywhere you're certain to get one locally, but I keep an eye on the Rag market. There's a stall in there that has them now and then, down by the entrance at the outdoor market end. He sells ironmongery and stuff, and he's on the main aisle, you can't miss it. It would be worth an enquiry, as they're under a tenner when he has them.

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 08:25:14 »
 Hi Geo,
             Just type azada into your search engine, there are a few firms selling them on line, there are different sizes, so do a bit of research before deciding which one to buy.
                             Adrian.

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2007, 09:08:16 »
I dig using a spade to turn the soil over in Autumn/winter leaving it in largish lumps, the aim being the frost helps to break up the soil. In the spring I then rotivate to break the soil up into a fine tilth ready for sowing.

Once the soil is in a really good condition you could just use the fork to dig over the winter/ early spring and rake area or just loosen soil slightly with fork just before sowing/planting.

If there are lots of weeds especially things like couch and bind weed like I have on a new allotment I have just taken on then I will use a fork, break up the soil and remove the weeds and large stones (there are so many). This will not need rotivating as I have used the fork to break up the soil and it will not be long before I start sowing.

I particularly use the spade down the sides of the plot and ends to keep a good edge to the plot.

Talk to and watch other plot holders, use this forum and then from all the information you have  decide what you will do. You will be fine, in no time at all you will feel like a pro.

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2007, 09:38:17 »
Hi pakaba,
I've just taken on a new plot and it is covered in weeds and grass so also have a lot to do in time for planting!  I am new to all this digging lark and have been using a fork and going down one spit.  I find that it pulls up a lot of roots that I can pull out and I bash the big bits and then leave them to break down by nature.  Yesterday I went back to a strip I had dug last weekend and it was lovely and crumbly.  Here is a pic of what I dug yesterday, and I do what others here have mentioned - walk backwards and you dig what you have stood on...
It is the whole width of the upper portion of the pic, where the plank goes across.  The bottom bit is the part I said is now all crumbly and nice.  It took me about five hours and yes I'm a bit achey, but at least there is progress! (It used to look like the bit by the tarpaulin, i.e. very grassy!

PS I have found that if you repeatedly stand on wet soil it will turn to mud and set really hard.  I found that out because I had tried to squish down some soil to make a little path by my compost heap and now it is like concrete!  Lucky its not near my beds... ;)
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

Geo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2007, 15:46:40 »
Thanks for the replies...Found one  ;D

http://www.get-digging.co.uk/tools.htm

"The earth meets the sky over the hill, I was told by a sparrow with a lump on his head."

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2007, 20:14:02 »
Thanks for the replies...Found one  ;D

http://www.get-digging.co.uk/tools.htm

Yep thats where DH got his & his FILs from (FIL borrowed ours & asked us to orer him one as well as he liked so much!)...really good quick service & minimal packaging to worry about getting rid off. I think we got the heavy duty one...

Saz

nenerover

• Not So New ...
  • All home grown
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2007, 20:28:35 »
Hi pakaba,
               I also endorse the "AZADA" the rest of the world uses it, so why not Britain, I love mine. You'll have your plot turned in no time.
Regards Peter.
Sunshine and gentle rain to you all.
Peter J Bennett

Geo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2007, 21:40:15 »
I ordered the heavy duty azada..looking forward to using it...

G e o.. :)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 10:01:07 »
I have always used a fork to dig my soil, which is very stony/chalky, so is the most practical.

Traditional teaching says to use a spade to turn over the soil and then use a fork to break down the clods (or let the weather do it for you if you have time), but i personaly have never got the hang of this method.

I think the bit about not treading on the soil refers only to the bit you have dug not the whole lot! Obviously you dont want to trample over you nicely dug over soil!

The best way in the long term to avoid walking over dug over soil is to make paths and beds, that way you only walk on certain areas and only have to dig certain areas.

Hope this helps

BillBarnes

• Not So New ...
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2007, 13:00:33 »
I have a new allotment which I am digging over one gripe deep  It is generally very loose and well draining so I believe any roots that need to go deeper will have no problems.  However, the land was overgrown with brambles etc. and I have having extreme difficullty getting the old roots out any suggestions?  Another problem is a tree which the council have felled in an adjoining allotmenmt leaving the stump and roots whcih travel in part through my site at a shallow depth.  Putting in a central path I have needed to chop through each root either side but any tips on how to get rid of the rest or is it a little at a time and hard labour?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2007, 13:09:43 »
The tree roots will rot away in time. When it comes to brambles, this is a problem I have as well. Persistence pays; just go round occasionally in the growing season and pull out whatever's appeared since your last visit. It dies out in the end.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal