Author Topic: It's OK to compost orange peel is it not?  (Read 3831 times)

Spyros

• Not So New ...
It's OK to compost orange peel is it not?
« on: January 17, 2007, 14:20:19 »
Discuss.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
Re: It's OK to compost orange peel is it not?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 14:28:03 »
It's been a subject of lots of discussion in a number of composting related threads.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,91/topic,27079.msg266298#msg266298
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,91/topic,25252.msg256169#msg256169

But "yes, so long as you don't throw in vast quantities" is the short answer...  :)

And here's the technical "whys and why nots" (from Bristol Council's excellent web page on composting)
http://www.bristol-city.gov.uk/ccm/content/Environment-Planning/Rubbish-waste-and-recycling/composting---frequently-asked-questions.en;jsessionid=EF7559B952DCE3986E86052FE2572580

Citrus fruits can make your compost heap overly acidic so only add them in moderation or not at all. If you do add them, add plenty of other matter (such as grass clippings) at the same time to try to even up the balance a bit.

Also, many types of compost heap worms, such as tiger worms, don't like d-limonene, an antiseptic substance found in fresh citrus peel. The d-limonene disappears as the peel rots though so your worms will prefer it if you leave it out of the main compost heap until it's green and furry.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 14:47:14 »
As I am surrounded but fir trees  >:( my soils is acid enough so I do not add peel to my compost!!
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 15:23:31 »
Some do some don't, I put it in but then I don't have that much,  worms don't like it fresh but will eat it after a while when it's broken down, as Flowerlady says her soil doesn't need it so she could use it as traps for the slugs, I read this somewhere or did I dream it. :-\ :-\ :-\ ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 22:42:41 »
Apparently citrus peel contains natural antiseptics which makes it slow to decompose

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 08:04:53 »
Citrus peel does not make the finished compost more acidic the acid is neutralised during the composting process a simple ph test on the finished compost will demonstrate that. I have added huge quantities of citrus peel leftover from when I am brewing citrus based drinks & collected from the local juice bar, the finished compost has not been acidic. I just add it to the compost heaps rather than the wormery so it will break down faster.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 08:24:14 »
Flowerlady says her soil doesn't need it so she could use it as traps for the slugs, I read this somewhere or did I dream it. :-\ :-\ :-\ ;D ;D ;D

After you've got the slugs merry on beer, it's traditional to let them party under grapefruit skins :D

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 08:37:54 »
Stop it, Supersprout! It hurts when I laugh!  ;D ;D ;D :'(

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 12:07:12 »
It's better to candy orange peel than compost it IMHO  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal