Author Topic: What to do with the soil from pots?  (Read 7472 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: What to do with the soil from pots?
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2006, 18:07:20 »
Vine weevil is nasty indeed, but if your plant hasn't had problems, there won't be eggs in the compost. I think it's a matter of getting the thing in perspective. If the plant in the pot had some sort of problem, sling the compost on your next bonfire.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2006, 19:24:37 »
You could also leave the compost out as a layer on a old compost bags and let the birds turn it over and the frost get to the eggs.  The eggs are laid amongst the plant roots so if you have a problem, in general, the plant will come away from it's root ball when you lift it up as the previous grubs will have eaten through.  Notched leaves are also a give away. 

I have vine weevil in the main garden around my primulas & am careful to keep them in check, but as I also have thingy chafer grubs and lily beetle and heaven knows what else that must have all migrated in from the surrounding gardens, there is only so much you can do sensibly in the ground to avoid bugs.

Keep your plants healthy so they can withstand the onslought and deal with any obvious damage as soon as it occurs. Do everything possible to encourage "good" wildlife & you will achieve a balance.   
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2006, 20:55:58 »
Seeing as most of the plants that are in good condition stay in their pots or get potted on, the majority of spent compost is from pots that have had dead plants in them. I have done the same as most of you and tipped it on the ground to be dug in. But from now on I will spread it first so the birds can rake through it and clean out the bugs or wait until it is really frosty and spread it out the freeze the little varmints out.

Freezing seems a good option for most of you on the north island, but seeing as we can sometimes go all winter without a frost on the sunny I.W.
I am at a disadvantage.  ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2006, 09:39:39 »
Freezing seems a good option for most of you on the north island, but seeing as we can sometimes go all winter without a frost on the sunny I.W.
I am at a disadvantage.  ;D

You might be surprised to learn i do not consider being frost free to be a disadvantage. i find the frosts we have here in dorset are enough to damage plants but rarely cold enough to kill off pests or break down soil. I have been plagued by snails this autumn but i'll bet the winter wont be cold enough to kill most of them off. They seem to be tough little blighters. Vine weevil ditto - although wet seems to discourage them.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2006, 17:52:07 »
That's exactly what I used to find in Cornwall.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal