Author Topic: Black Mango Chutney from green tomatoes - mm-MM!  (Read 4643 times)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Black Mango Chutney from green tomatoes - mm-MM!
« on: September 16, 2006, 11:14:45 »
Hi prink, thought it would be worth posting this after your kind comment in Jam ;)
I've been experimenting with the recipe I posted earlier this year. This version is not over-sweet - uses half the sugar of the original - reduction of the green tomatoes at the start seems to make a big difference to its 'fruitiness'. We like our chutneys smooth and squeezable :o, but you don't have to blend, nuts are optional. Long simmering blends the spices nicely. When potting, I leave the bay leaves in!

Black Mango Chutney (with Green Tomatoes)

3 kg green tomatoes
8 oz (250g) dried dates
8 oz (250g) raisins
Just under 1 pint white wine or cider vinegar (400-500ml)

16 bay leaves
4 tsp red pepper (chilli powder)
4 tsp ground cinnamon
4 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground nutmeg or mace

1 tsp crushed peppercorns
1 tsp crushed brown cardamom seed
4 tsp whole black cumin seed (kala zeera)
2 tbs salt

4 tbs fresh lime or lemon juice
2 lb (1kg) sugar

Optional:
4 oz (125g) shelled pistachio nuts
8 oz (250g) toasted almonds

Cook the green tomatoes briefly: in a pressure cooker, bring to H and let pressure drop naturally. Or boil and let cool. Sieve the pulp or put it through a passata machine. Gently simmer to reduce the pulp to 2 litres (reduce volume by approx. 1/3) in a stainless steel pan. (I do this the day before, and the rest the following day)

Simmer dates and raisins in vinegar until soft. Add them to the reduced green tomato pulp in the pan. Simmer slowly for about an hour until all ingredients are soft, stirring now and then to prevent sticking. Take off the heat and blend for a smooth chutney (hand blender is easiest).

Add salt, sugar, bay leaves, and spices. Simmer for another hour or two until it becomes a thick puree.

Add the lime or lemon juice (and nuts, if you wish). Simmer gently for another hour or so until desired thickness is reached. Remove from heat and pour into sterilised jars.

Yields approx 8lb/4 kg or 4 litres of ‘mango’ chutney.

EDIT: this morning's batch made 3.5 litres :)

« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 14:15:49 by supersprout »

Diana

• Acre
Re: Black Mango Chutney from green tomatoes - for Prink
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 11:50:08 »
That sounds great SS. I was having a hunt for ideas as I've just cleared the greenhouse out + can hardly see the screen for wee green 'uns.

Thanks for the picture - you've no idea how appreciated that is (I never know when these things are "done")

D
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 12:04:54 »
thank you diana, hope you like it. I do love pics too, with peeps' gadgets and methods (and peek into their kitchens :o ;))
I'd say the chutney in the pan could easily take another hour or two on low - but it will always be slightly on the sloppy side.
good luck with the recipe if you decide to try it :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 12:06:46 by supersprout »

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 12:50:49 »
SS, THANKYOU  sounds and looks great, I've got about 3 kg green toms so will try to give it a go

Kathi  ;D
Kathi :-)

Diana

• Acre
Re: Black Mango Chutney from green tomatoes - mm-MM!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 14:33:22 »
WOW!!!!

They do say good things are worth waiting for.

It took me nearly all day yesterday (was in kitchen "processing" stuff anyway), but it was worth it!!!!!!!

Thanks Supersprout - got any more gems? Something for pumpkins maybe (just brought a couple of dozen back :-[)

D
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 14:56:19 »
Really chuffed you like it diana! ;D
A couple of dozen pumpkins :o :o do you have a dehydrator to make pumpkin chips? Jennym shared her recipe for courgette chips - cut about 1/2-1/4 inches thick and set to dry, sprinkle on salt and pepper and healthy chips - I'm going to try with squash :D
Good luck, if you find a good way of preserving, post it pleeease!

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 22:02:55 »
Thank-you for the recipe.  Smells fabulous.

:)

Put the lime juice in 30 mins ago, so by midnight it should all be safely bottled up.

Can you use it straight away, or should it 'sit' for a few weeks first?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 14:23:13 by Gadfium »

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 15:29:38 »
You probably know the answer by now gadfium, sorry this reply is late - it just changes as it gets older, there's always a little pot to use straight away ;) hope you like it ::)

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 21:34:05 »
Couldn't resist, had to delve in... whoa, is that good  :o !!!

Thanks  :D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 23:59:37 »
I've made this, thanks Sarah, and it tasted absolutely delish although probably needs more time to reach its peak.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 10:21:29 »
;D just think of all the air miles saved on mangoes anne! :o

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 10:42:32 »
Aghhh!  Please stop saying how good it is!  Because I didn't make any ... :'(

ah well, next year.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 22:23:52 »
Am planning this for my green toms as I assume I will have plenty.  SS, I know you like smooth chuts, but I am planning not to blend, also I can't use Bay as they aren't great for the heart and hearts aren't great with us lot, but I imagine the dates make it like caramel!  oooooo, I can't wait - I am shopping on Wednesday for the ingredients!  YUMYUM!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 23:21:17 »
Would love to see/hear how it turns out EJ! :D

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 23:51:38 »
I made some today - and joined the 'black bits' club :) >:( ;D. Yes, I was watching the news and forgot about the stuff bubbling on the hob for just a tad too long :-[. Luckily, there was no smell of burning and I just tipped the chutney into another pan and continued to reduce it to a nice jammy thickness. The first pan cleaned up quite easily with a dash of washing-up liquid, some boiling water and an hour's soak.

I also found that the dates/vinegar mixture dissolved into the tomato puree so that the only 'bits' were the sultanas which gave the chutney more substance.

The green toms I have left are three huge ones of the Dombito variety which I want to use for fried green tomatoes. 8)

Tricia

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 08:35:05 »
I made some today - and joined the 'black bits' club :) >:( ;D.

lol@tricia ;)
imo the pan has to be well crusted at least once per season to appease the Chutney Fairy ::) ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2006, 23:09:57 »
Wanted to post on this thread as I made this wonderful spicy chuts today, but with a few alterations.  Instead of dried ginger, I grated fresh ginger as I had a root to use - but still used the recommended amount.  Instead of 4 tsp of chilli, I had a couple of ripe fresh ones, so finely chopped those and added, then 2 tsps of the chilli powder.  I didn't blitz it when I added the dates and raisins, but I did chop the dates so they were a similar size to the raisins, so the chuts has some texture.  I didn't add as much salt as I am constantly trying to reduce our salt intake, so only used half the recommended amount.

The cardamon seeds have given it the most amazing aroma!  I have one fancy jar put away for the spring show (thanks SS  :-*), one jar handy as mum is coming to stay over half term week and I sense a curry night brewing, and the rest are tucked away to allow them to mature.

Fantastic green tom recipe!  ;D

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 02:49:34 »
Dear Supersprout sent me a sample  :-* .... and indeed it's fab.  Going to make some this weekend with keef's green toms.  (Mine all went on Curry's curry sauce!)

;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2006, 09:29:23 »
so pleased you both liked it :)
do post variations and developments to the receep! fun, innit?
and you didn't miss the bay leaves EJ? ::)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 09:31:00 by supersprout »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2006, 15:00:37 »
I gave my cleaning lady a bagful of jams and chutnies last week and she has raved about them all but specially the gt mango chutney, so we got wellied into some last night.. purely in the interests of quality control you understand!! ;) :P

It's just fab! Better than the real thing and - yes SS - more eco friendly. 8) 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal