Author Topic: How to get rid of Mushrooms?  (Read 4165 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
How to get rid of Mushrooms?
« on: September 11, 2006, 17:32:11 »
I've just been digging a 2 meter wide border and found loads of spores in the ground. i've been getting buckets full of mushrooms each week from the lawn...

but yea...underneath the ground...there's a really big patch with the white webbed powdery fungus stuff about a foot deep in the soil.

i understand i probably can't get rid of them fully but is there a way to minimise them?

thanks

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: How to get rid of Mushrooms?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 18:30:35 »
Don't know - but you could be a PLC??

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 19:13:43 »
Don't know - but you could be a PLC??

sorry about my ignorance....but what's a PLC?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 19:38:39 »
Understandable!

Could be Palestinian Legislative Council or programmable-logic-controllers etc?

But, in this case, I meant "public limited liability company in Britain".

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 19:50:45 »
i could be....but don't know what kind of mushrooms they are....i don't want my neighbours walking around having eaten magic mushrooms :-X

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 21:33:20 »
Remove the turf from the whole of the affected area and remove and burn any `mushrooms` already in the turf.

Water the underlying soil with Armillatox, mixed with water at 1 part Armillatox to 50 parts water, making sure that the fungus mat and the soil below are thoroughly soaked - you might have to prod a few holes in the fungus mat to do this, or if you have a pressure sprayer you could push the spray lance through the mat and pressure inject the solution.  Replace the turf and don`t water for a week at least.  The turf may suffer a bit at first, but should quickly recover.

Armillatox can now no longer be sold for this purpose (thanks to the Commissars in the EU), so you won`t find it in the instruction leaflet, but it used to be one of the recommended treatments, and it worked on my lawn.

Truffle

• Half Acre
    • Grow truffles!-
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 09:15:29 »
Any chance of posting a pic of the mushrooms, they may be really good edibles!!!!

Also, I don't really understand the fear we have of mushrooms in this country- there's some really good edible ones and they all have very important roles in ecosystem functioning. If they're not causing any great problems, why not leave them be and enjoy their pretty fruiting patterns?

Truff
www.PlantationSystems.com
Want to know about truffles? then visit our website, you can even buy truffle-trees ;-)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 12:38:25 »
There are very few really harmful fungi. I could understand the need to use Armatillox if you had some nice trees, say, and one developed honey fungus. But if it's not one of the very few, why poison all the really useful decay fungi in your soil, and do all sorts of harm to it?

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 13:19:53 »
truffle....they look like the big ones you get in the shops. flat on top.....round and with black frills underneath.

but there's just so many of them. i didn't used to mind them popping up here and there...but they're pushing up through the lawn and making holes in it.

my newly dug up borders are full of their spores and the soil doesn't even look brown anymore....it's like a white chalk.....not exactly great soil to be planting in.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 14:48:35 »
What on earth's in there to nourish that much fungus? Any chance of some pics?

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 15:41:18 »
i normally pull out the following amount every few days:

these are just very young ones....when they grow up, they're huge and flat.

the only thing i can think of is that about 7 years ago my dad dug up the whole lawn.....mixed it into the soil.....flattened it and put new turf on it. there's also some very large conifers surrounding the whole garden......they shed leaves every now and then....maybe it's that?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 19:29:58 »
Could you manage close-ups? One of a mature specimen would help. What colour are the gills underneath the cap?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal