Author Topic: where can i get elderflower plants  (Read 5897 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
where can i get elderflower plants
« on: September 07, 2006, 17:58:20 »
Hi

My hubbie loves elderflower and i want to have a go at making some elderflower drinks but cant find the plant.

help

cambourne7

legendaryone

• Hectare
Re: where can i get elderflower plants
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 18:23:23 »
It is a tree/bush and you can find it growing in hedgerows, go for a nice walk along a canalside or nature reserve and you are bound to see one and then you could take a cutting from it.
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 18:29:19 »
Does anybody know if the black form sold as a decorative plant has the same eating qualities? I have a ready supply on the allotments but couldn't bring myself to plant a normal one!
 ???

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 23:52:20 »
Presumably with your nickname you are at Cambourne in Cambridgeshire. If so, there are lots of bushes growing in the hedgerows and in May/June you can pick flowers in abundance, certainly all along the Devils Ditch footpath near Newmarket. No need to buy a bush because they get very large, the berries seed themselves everywhere and you will know when they are ripe because your car/washing etc will be covered with bird excrement after they have had a good feed.

Grant

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 09:11:10 »
Just remember you can use the flowers and the fruit, but not the leaves or wood of the Elderflower bush/tree.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 16:15:02 »
Hi All,

Yes good old cambourne in cambridgeshire :-)

Many thanks i have set my self a reminder for may 2007 to go looking at the hedges.

May be back then for identification :-)

Cambourne7

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 18:54:25 »
They will be covered in berries at the moment- clusters of small purple ones- so you sould identify them yourself and go back in May for the flowers!

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 09:25:11 »
hi all,  :D

Does anybody know if the black form sold as a decorative plant has the same eating qualities? I have a ready supply on the allotments but couldn't bring myself to plant a normal one!
 ???
Yes saddad, the black ornamental variety,  called black lace sambuca, is perfectly edible. For those worried about the size of the bush/tree, elder can be cut down hard every winter so you can keep the thing under control. We have 2 of the black lace varieties, & these grow to about 3 metres tall during the summer with  very attractive foliage, when the leaves fall off, late autumn time, they are cut down to about 50 cms/ 1 metre above the ground.

Adrian.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal