Author Topic: Syphons from allotment water tanks???  (Read 7180 times)

artichoke

• Hectare
Syphons from allotment water tanks???
« on: July 23, 2006, 10:18:38 »
Toiling up and down the hill from water tank to allotment the other day, it occurred to me that although we are in a hosepipe ban area, it may not be illegal to set up a syphon? Does anyone know?

Are allotments exempt from the hosepipe ban?

If not, does a syphon count as a hosepipe? It would not be attached to a tap, just weighted down into a tank (tank refills automatically).

The water would be running downhill through the hosepipe for about 50 yards. I would be setting it up afresh each time I go, and applying water by hand (ie it would never be left running unattended, like a sprinkler).

Would much appreciate any information from anyone who knows the facts.

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Syphons from allotment water tanks???
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 10:26:45 »
<< On our allotment we are allowed to use a hose as long as it is hand held - I mention this as there was a lot of miscommunication on this subject and our committee chairman clarified the position with the council yesterday >>

Answering my own post, but just spotted this on the "Soaker Hose" thread. True?

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 10:57:56 »
OK, answering my own question yet again. But in case it affects anyone else, I have at last looked at the official site of my water authority and at their FAQ site:

http://www.southernwater.co.uk/beatTheDrought/

Can allotment holders water their plots using a hosepipe?
"Yes, the restrictions apply to the watering of a private garden and the majority of allotments do not fall within this category. However, we would encourage allotment holders to act now and install water butts for collection of water and consider other ways they can use mulch and biodegradable gel to retain moisture in the soil."

So I am off to set up my syphon, armed with the above quote for any suspicious onlookers. (Can't use tap because there is no visible tap, which I think is a very good thing).

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 11:07:44 »
Funny you should post this, a note was on our tap at the plot yesterday saying that this chap had called the water authority who had told him that we are allowed to use hosepipes on the plot!!  I had looked it up on the Southern water website, but did not want to be the one to pull hers out! I noticed a lot more hoses have appeared up at the site since the note! ;D  Still did mine with the watering cans yesterday though.
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 19:21:14 »
Oh dear, me again. Just to report that the syphon worked beyond my wildest dreams, my 10 sq metres are soggy, wet newspaper and cardboard lie on the paths killing the weeds, and my cup spilleth over.

Just an ordinary syphon, water poured down the hose, hose plunged into dip tank and weighted down with a brick. Cucumbers, squashes, corn, tomatoes, black kale, leeks all flourishing after thunder storms, and now given an extra boost.

mike_w

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 19:58:04 »
Hmmm... Here in the Thames Valley our supplier has a rather more restrictive policy  :(

From: http://www.thameswater.co.uk/UK/region/en_gb/content/FAQ/FAQ_000051.jsp?SECT=FAQ_000051

Can I water my allotment using a hosepipe, sprinkler, perforated hose, trigger hose or similar apparatus?

No, an allotment is classed as a private garden.

Booooo. Still, the recent rain has at least topped up the water butts.

Quantum ille canis in fenestra est?

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 20:19:50 »
Yes you can use a hosepipe on an allotment unless the council put a ban on.

I'm thinking I might get rid of our sign saying hose pipe ban from council and then i'm not doing anything wrong.

I leave hosepipe running in my old bin and fill watering can from that or I would be all day just watering. It takes me a good 2hrs like that anyway.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 21:07:12 »
Apparently Thames Valley is the exception. Allotments are Private Gardens, so no hosepipes.

The rest of us can use hosepipes. It's official, legal, allowable etc.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 21:42:46 »
I overheard our secretary telling a newbie that you are not allowed to use a hose pipe on the allotment, but we all do so I'll pretend I never heard him. ;D

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 07:48:40 »
i hardly water these days, and everything looks lush and green.
too much mollycoddling for a weak plantling makes?
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 08:56:15 »
I haven't watered my psb since planting them out over a month ago (one short thunderstorm since), and I agree with the theory that leaving them to suffer forces their roots down to where the moisture is. But part of my new allotment (water tank uphill from it) is a new lasagna bed (layers of mulch over newspaper and cardboard over rough field  grass) and they dry out rapidly.

Climbing beans definitely need more moisture than they've been getting, and so do salad plants. Apart from these exceptions, I have practically given up watering.

Trevor Holloway

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 13:17:11 »
Took on a half plot a few weeks ago where the previous "keeper" had planted six sweetcorn and six courgette plants and watered a couple of times very early after planting. Not been back since.
I am now getting loads of courgettes and the sweetcorn look healthy. Next year I will be less worried about watering everything in sight .

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 13:34:20 »
I have pointedly not been watering on the basis of letting the plants dig deep for water.  I wish I had watered them as they're sooo much smaller than anyone elses and I'm the only person in the land - nay: The World - who's waiting for a bleedin' courgette!

To misquote Gollum: I shall staaaaaaaaaaarve!

;D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 14:05:32 »
I've been carefully only watering my courgettes, runner beans and seedlings in the late evenings, which has meant I only have to fill the 4 mains water butts up once every 10 days or so. Much improvement on previous years when it was every other day (though admittedly I've doubled the number of butts this year too!). I've got one butt connected to the shed roof, which is strictly rainwater and only for the blueberries.

Everything else has had to fend for itself largely, except on the days when I was refilling the butts, and then plenty of water gets chucked on the tomatoes and white cabbages too. The reds took off months ago and are perfectly happy to fend for themselves.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

amphibian

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 10:00:54 »
Instead of planting my squash, courgettes, corn and pumpkins on mounds I have planted them in craters, it is what native americans did in dry areas of America ad it has worked very well. The craers in my three sisters bed all touch one another, so the wall of one forms the wall of its neighbour.

If only I had got the spacing right, I have a very dense patch  :o

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 10:05:38 »
I do not water either, allowing the plant to send its roots deep. I know this works, as I have some tomatoes covered by a 'tent', which have not been watered since they were planted. Despite the soil around the plants being parched (and weed free), the tomato plants are looking extremely healthy, and setting fruit quite readily.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 14:22:20 »
I use very little water myself, but there are all  sorts of rumours going round the site that you can't use a hosepipe. I Emailed Severn-Trent to get that one sorted out, and they replied this morning to the effect that they haven't imposed a ban since 1996, and that they have no intention of imposing one this year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal