Author Topic: runner bean pole fixing - problem  (Read 7027 times)

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
runner bean pole fixing - problem
« on: May 31, 2006, 13:21:58 »
I've vertically planted 3 metal poles along the runner bean trench with 2 poles ready to be fixed horizontaly along to the top of the planted poles. The top tips of the bamboo runner poles will be resting against the horizontal poles.

The local ironmongers (the old fashioned kind) have suggested a long, straight flat metal plate to fix to the round poles together in a 90 degree angle (!) or offered plastic ties. I don't think he fully understood...    I suggested something akin to scaffolding clips and was told that there was no such thing on the market and that there was no way I could get these poles connected.

So, Brethren, I know it's possible - for I've seen it on t' telly - but what do I need to ask for or source in the internet???!?!

Gordon

• Quarter Acre
  • Crewe, Cheshire
Re: runner bean pole fixing - problem
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 13:39:06 »
Hi bennettsleg

The piece you require is called a double pole bracket an Aeriel supplier should be able to supply such a thing.

Gordon
Crewe, Cheshire

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 13:45:07 »
Possibly this, garden centre, fruit cage cage fixings

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 14:42:46 »
Similar to the above, you could try using the 'Build-a-ball' thngs which may be cheaper?
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 15:00:50 »
Similar to the above, you could try using the 'Build-a-ball' thngs which may be cheaper?

Or tennis balls with holes cut in them! Seriously - my whole fruit cage was built like this!

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 15:39:33 »
Thanks guys, the only additional problem - which I neglected to put in the original post (sorry  :-[) : the poles are steel and recycled from our shop where they used to be employed as a security feature...

D'you think your suggestions will cope with the weight?

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 16:38:58 »
First, what diameter are these poles?  I take it they're fairly sturdy?  Are they big enough to drill a hole through to take, say, a number 10 bolt?

If so, I would use two poles per upright, and angle them together in the traditional wigwam style, bolting them together where they cross.  If you use a single upright, the frame will almost certainly blow over once it's covered with beans.

Then either bolt or lash with rope the horizontal crossbars.

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 19:29:15 »
Could you use a wood cross bar and then fix canes like this?

keithy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 20:18:11 »
I'm with your local ironmonger. 12" Nylon Cable Ties are incredibly strong. If you crossed the poles ( rather than sitting on top like Ani's photo), hold them there with some cable ties and then you could then go all scoutish and lash them up with a bit of sash cord. If you want it to outlive you, add some gaffer tape. There is nothing that can't be done with string, cable ties and gaffer tape !!

Bear in mind that the "weight" on the cross bar is sideways because the sloping cane will want to fall "through" the crossbar. The downwards weight is mostly carried by the bit of the cane in the ground, and the cane itself.

The cross bar is there to stop the top of the canes moving about in the wind realy, because its Wind + crop + wobbly-cane-movement  that causes the disaster. Take one away and you are home free ( he says .... )

Of course, if you are trailing the beans up string, go for the aerial thingies.

HTH

keithy
Lottie'ing in Swindon - backache with slugs

powerspade

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 07:35:58 »
I use a length of cloths line stretched between two pole its worked for me for 7 yrs

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 12:38:05 »
I was thinking along these lines, below, purely from the point of view of
being able to dismantle it and re-use it next year. And zero cost of course  ;D. A short piece of drainpipe would do the job either but is not easy to drill. To keep it in position vertically, the simplest way would be to squash the tube a bit to make it a tight fit. Or you could use hose clips or a peg/ nut and bolt through a hole. You'll probably need some diagonals too, to stop the whole thing going diamond shaped when the winds come.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal