Author Topic: Parsley soup  (Read 1957 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Parsley soup
« on: May 08, 2006, 04:07:21 »
Now that last year's parsley is making lots of growth before going to seed this year, thought you might like this from a vegetarian cookbook:-

1 large onion 2 large carrots 50g/2oz/1/4 cup butter 150g/5oz potato 900ml/1.5 pints/3.75 cups chicken stock Sea salt and black pepper 25g/1oz/0.75 cups parsley, heads only

Peel the onion, clean the carrots and slice them all very thinly; there should be roughly equal amounts of each. Heat the butter in a pan and stew the onion and carrot gently for about 6 minutes. Add the peeled and thinly sliced potato. After 3 more minutes pour on the heated stock. Add salt and pepper and simmer, covered for 35 minutes, then leave to cool slightly. Puree in a blender with the parsley, then reheat, adding extra seasoning as required.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Parsley soup
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 06:52:48 »
Must try!

Wish there was a soup using handfuls of Chives.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 07:44:28 »
Sounds lovely lish, but where's the cream?  :P
When I trimmed the chives last week after planting out tim, I discovered that you can get handfuls of chopped chives with sour cream into a baked spud ;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 09:20:11 by supersprout »

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 09:18:21 »
Sprout, the recipe book is vegan - therefore no cream! Add a swirl of cream just before serving?

Tim -  Was looking at my hedge of chives yesterday & decided to try chive and potato soup today....I'll report back.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 17:03:33 »
Lishka,
The book was Vegan?
How was it with the chicken stock then?
Presume it was a stock cube? Eating dead yeast cells then?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 17:32:47 »
The original recipe was from a vegan book - my adaptation put in the stock cube, not no way was I going to use soya milk (intended to type "nut no way", but I rather like it as it came out.....try again...."but"  ::)) ;D

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 14:07:32 »
Mmmmmmmmmm .. that sounds lovely Lishka  ;D Funnily enough I was Googling parsley recipes last night and found this site/recipe!

http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/SoupsStarters/parsley_drop_scones.htm

I was going to make the drop scones tonight for tea but they didn't have any baking powder in the Co-Op  ::)

What does baking powder 'do' anyway??
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 17:37:33 »
I've seen that recipe too! - and I didn't do it cos I didn't have s.r.flour OR baking powder.....think it's an extra rising agent, praps? Like a booster rocket? ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal