Author Topic: Waiting for the late frosts?  (Read 2229 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Waiting for the late frosts?
« on: April 14, 2006, 08:17:49 »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Waiting for the late frosts?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 09:47:27 »
What species is that? It looks very like a magnolia, now unfortunately deceased, which used to grow by the lane down on the allotments.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 10:14:34 »
Yes - Stellata.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 14:36:48 »
know what you mean, Tim.  my neighbours have a massive magnolia - with the big waxy pink petals - and I worry about it being hammered by a frost; it'd be such an awful shame.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 15:21:38 »
I saw a lovely pink variety yesterday when out walking, just past the breaking bud stage which had sadly been 'caught' by the frost.....all tinged with horrible brown :'(.....such a shame!

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 20:33:11 »
Thats what mine wants to be when it grows up Tim.  4 years old and only just over 3ft high.  Even got about a dozen flowers this year ;D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 22:58:20 »
Whilst down in the west country last weekend there were Magnolias open everywhere, and I simply adore them all.  Funny though, even after a couple of early morning frosts, they were still picture perfect, but all the cameilias took a hammering!

Now, after insulting you evergreens Tim, I would just like to say your Magnolia is simply beautiful, they are something I do not have, and would love if only I had the room.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 13:50:01 »
In 2003 there was a series of scathing frosts here between April 6th and 8th. According to my diary, "My pieris was just getting new red shoots – which are now brown. Every single magnolia on the way to work has lost its flowers, and they were just coming out. "

This year I watched them all come out, holding my breath. But there's some lovely ones! And so far, so good...

I do like magnolias. Wish I could grow one in my chalk...  but don't have room for any more giant pots - going to be bad enough moving the camellia if we ever flit! (60cm pot: the plant's now pushing 7' tall...)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 22:36:33 »
Magnolias are my absolute favourite ... I was in Clyne Gardens recently, in the Mumbles near to Swansea, where apparently they have the largest Magnolia in Europe ... took ages to find it as its grown so tall, you can't see the flowers from the ground.  Very beautiful and the petals that had fallen to the ground were a very satisfying size.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal