Author Topic: Mantis tiller  (Read 5124 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re:Mantis tiller
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2004, 21:45:26 »
Eh! Tim. That looks good. OK, it's a bit of a 'drag', but it sure beats a day's forking.
From what you say I think you're using the 'double' tines? Try 'em the 'wrong way' round, they won't dig so deep but will still mix manure and soil without so much clogging.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: Mantis tiller
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2005, 22:15:13 »
I am still pondering over the Mantis Tiller the one thing that really put me off was when I saw the price tag in the US of A  $299 (£162) against £299 in the UK  that's a little over half price :o and Mantis won't ship from the states >:( Looks like a case of "Rip off Britain" again >:(

Can anyone in the rest of Europe point me to a site that sells Mantis at a real price? I would be very grateful for any links.

Tim what was the verdict on the Mantis, did you keep it or return it? How did it compare with the Homelite 30cc @ £130.?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2005, 06:14:47 »
I traded the Homelite in.

Mantis? I think I said in the other thread that I found the petrol one too noisy for our village environment, & too fiddly, with typical '2 stroke blockages' - just when you needed it!

The electric one suits me better.

Which gives me an idea - see my PM!

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2005, 08:48:29 »
i askedat our local place as to whether he had 2nd hand mantis's(manti?)and he said he did but they werent much good-what i needed was a huge rotovater.....which i presume he just happened to have!
i think i'd like an electric one  for the lack of noise...the bumf mantis sent me didnt have any details tho..... :(
the search continues......
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2005, 09:19:07 »
Kitty   Look on ebay.  But be careful if you bid that you bid for a Mantis tiller and not a Mantis bike!  ;D  That's what my lotty neighbour ended up bidding for and winning  ;D ;D

She got one eventually for Chrimble and loves it.  She offered to lend it to me the other day but I daren't accept as my soil has not been touched for about half a century and it was great lumps of weed filled rock  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2005, 10:14:26 »
I bought a Mountfield mini tiller from B&Q online as it seemed similar to a Mantis but was about £50 cheaper. Operating andassembly instructions are fairly crap though.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2005, 10:21:14 »
kitty -  what details do you want. I have most.

General -may I repeat what I believe to be a sensible warning?

"Secondhand electric without a full guarantee could be unwise".

Dirkdigger

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2005, 10:56:50 »
Ive been following this thread for a while now, I'm also thinking of buying a tiller. Came across this website the other day. http://www.nepine.co.uk/xcart/customer/home.php?cat=99
Thinking of maybe the Honda version, 4 stroke so should be a bit quieter. A man on the allotment 2 down from me was using a 2 stroke mantis, so so noisy. I said to him I come over here for a bit of piece and quiet.
Anyone any info on the Honda ?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2005, 12:18:02 »
Roy, dd - everyone - I'm truly losing my marbles. I'm told that it happens to the best of us!!

1. I did return the Homelite - for fiddly problems - but for a replacement, which I still have!! And works well. LATER - yes it runs fine but I almost never use it. The Mantis is so much better - I think.

2. I did return the electric Mantis - for a replacement, which I still have.

3. Honda? Price apart, I feel that I would go for the name, rather than 'Mantis'.

4. 4 Stroke? Yes - but Mantis can't ship their Honda engined 4 Stroke 'because of the EU'.?
5. But you can buy a Honda?? I was going to say 'at £350', but dd has seen them at £300. Cheaper than the Mantis electric. But without the trial period.

Roy - I'll be in touch again when my feet touch ground!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 10:41:20 by tim »

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2005, 16:18:22 »
right-dd-roy-you grab his legs-wardy-grab and arm-i'll get the other-over the hedge he goes!!!lol!
tim!
::) ;D ;)

where were we?
o yes...marbles..NOOOOOOOOO!!!-mantisisisissis!right-the details tim,were(was?)the price!!the stuff they sent me didnt mention the fact they even mad a n electric one..
i am a bit wary of ANY second hand motorised tools..-me and the oh have difficulty wiring a plug so........ ::)
but if you say the homelites okay-as good as the mantis would you say?-then at approx £130 that probably the one i'll choose.......
wardy-the problem with most on ebay is they want you o pick up-they dont want to post......
plus the fact they are a bike when they arrive! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2005, 16:42:23 »
kitty - see my last - updated.

Wish the things would dig as deep as I'm digging myself!!

Thursday. Just got into the Nepine site - they don't answer the phone! - so you can get the 4 stroke Mantis, despite the EU?? But not through Mantis!!

Do wish I'd seen that a couple of years ago. Only 4lb heavier - but that, for me, might just have been the break point.

Of course - another thought that I mentioned ages ago - with the Mantis free trial period, you only stand to lose the return carriage?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 10:28:01 by tim »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal