Author Topic: carpets as ground cover.  (Read 6875 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: carpets as ground cover.
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2006, 20:58:08 »
Thanks for the advice. I'll limit myself to the 12 x8 (pink) and report back! ;D ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2006, 01:52:08 »
Hey sandallwood, there are some descriptions of growing parsnips in loo rolls in http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,57/topic,7520.0  :)

misterphil

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2006, 11:36:55 »
As I am a big bloke, I don't worry about hauling my wet carpet peice around the plot - it does make life a lot easier, as I have also used it in strips to make paths between beds.

School was throwing out some carpet tiles, and I managed to get hold of several hundred ... the main path in my plot is carpet tiled, and looks very smart! I also use them cut in half and used as edging for beds, with a batton frame to hold them in place - much cheaper than wood for raised beds, and able to go a lot higher.

Last year I tried the woven weed suppressant fabric - it wears badly, and tears easily, but under tomatoes was a godsend, as it prevented some of the badly staked ones rotting. This year I'll try to reuse what I have left, along with paper, straw and grass cuttings - it you ask around, most neighbours will be glad to let you cart theirs away for them too - and adding it to your plot will also  mean that you won't need to dig as much compost in next year...
The problem with being an IT teacher is that all those kids get in the way of my interaction with the computers.

Daisy_Jane

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2006, 12:04:47 »
Hi Bennetsleg,  yes you can dig it into the ground but that increases the fraying of the fabric. I have found that you you need to weigh the black stuff down in the middle of the bed because otherwise a strong wind will wind it floating away and onto your neighbours plot!

mokanoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2006, 01:11:48 »
I started off using carpet to supress the weeds. Kind of worked ok but the downside was that it got tangled with the dead weeds and was caked in mud when wet. Also the snakes enjoyed living underneath (scared me a lot I can tell you).
Next i decided to use black plastic, it was free and believe in reusing stuff. I did it over summer and was patient enough. The heat generated killed all the weeds. It still involved checking for couch but made the job easier.
The only problem was trying to keep it from blowing away in the windy weather. The outcome is:

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2006, 01:51:40 »
FAB before and after photos mokanoo, what's that big red machine you got? ::)

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2006, 11:23:11 »
I put a large piece of carpet down 6 months ago as my friend was getting rid of it and so far all is well.  Yes it is wet and heavy but there is not a weed to bee seen.  I have not walked on it and have really treated it as a bed.  Looking underneath the ground is clear of weeds and will barely need digging. 

I wish I could say the same for the area I covered with the weed suppresant fabric.  As it was expensive I could only afford enough for one small bed and it is ripped, frayed and has weeds poking through it!

The cardboarded area is not bad - a bit weedy although semi rotted soggy wet cardboard is IMO worse than carpet!

I think it is each to their own.  As long as you are responsible and get rid of the carpet and don't leave it as a permanent feature then it is a really good way of getting rid of the weeds.  In a few weeks I shall be cutting mine up to lay along the paths. 

ps - my carpet is green so blends in quite well!!  ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2006, 11:32:26 »
I expect my pink one will shortly be a uniform brown with all the rain and mud that's about just now! ;)

mokanoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2006, 19:23:48 »
thanks supersprout.
it's a neighbour's rotovator....to heck if I was going to dig it all over first time. Although it was so old that it took me two hours to get it going. Had to be sure that I removed as much couch as possible though as it would be chopped up to bits just waiting to grow.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal