Author Topic: Aldi Greenhouses??  (Read 5234 times)

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
Aldi Greenhouses??
« on: February 10, 2006, 16:53:55 »
Aldi start selling the three shelved plastic covered frame greenhouse fron 16th Feb. £11.99, they look ok in the pic! also some good seed trays etc.

Cheers Kevb
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 16:55:28 by KevB »
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
Re: Aldi Greenhouses??
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 17:48:34 »
I'm pretty sure that Wilkinsons have a slightly bigger one, maybe for £19.00 ish ... THINK it has 4 shelves, but its a couple of weeks since I was there.

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 18:26:03 »
Yeah, Wilko do a 3 tier GH for £14.99 or a 4 tier for £19.99 which I bought today with money I received for my birthday. ;D  I'd go for the 4 tier, unless space is an issue. ;)
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 17:36:06 »
seen a 4 Tier in Focus today was very sturdy £14!
Chris Pea

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 23:00:30 »
I bought the aldi one 2 years ago and used it to start seeds off in my backyard before taking up to the allotment. Really impressed but some idiots got into my yard and trashed it over winter wrecking the zips. Will by another one on Thursday and use the old one for hardening off seedlings at the allotment.

They also do a square one with no shelves which is ideal for tall plants like tomatoes & cucumbers.

Aldi also have compost at 99p for 20 litres which seems a good deal - still waiting for the fruit trees tho!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 21:07:23 »
i've had a 4-tier one for a couple of years now and it's lasted well.  the only disadvantage was that during a real gale it hurtled forward causing much devastation  to its occupants.

i was hoping to upgrade to a "real" one, but i think either a cold frame or another plastic one.  decisions, decisions.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 21:26:32 »
I bought two 4 tier GH from focus today. I had to get the display ones. £14. Hurry if you want one because they are going fast.

I have seen in a shop called "instore" 3 tier GH's for a tenner. They have seed trays £1.50 for 4. I bought a bare rooted berberis for a quid.  (For allotment defences) There are various bare rooted climbers and shrubs. Rosa regosa £2.50 for three plants for example. (More allotment defences).

I think "instore" is related to Argos or Matalan judging by the lay out.  The one I came across is where a pound stretcher used to be. Keep your eyes peeled folks and get in for a good rummage!

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 00:29:57 »
I too got a 3tier one for a tenner last year and it has served me well , keeps all my woosie plants frost free over winter in a sheltered spot, Ialso buy all my seeds trays in there there cheep and am going to reuse them this year, I'm thinking of buying another one as I have run out of space (too many woosie plants) as I have big ideas for this year.(read too much over winter) ;D
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 11:05:56 »
i've had a 4-tier one for a couple of years now and it's lasted well.  the only disadvantage was that during a real gale it hurtled forward causing much devastation  to its occupants.

i was hoping to upgrade to a "real" one, but i think either a cold frame or another plastic one.  decisions, decisions.
what about a compromise solution such as a lean to style, -

I bought one of these through the "Loot" paper for £30 but i'd try Ebay as well, couple of months later i got my hexagon one from Ebay.
Cheers Kevb
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 11:08:31 by KevB »
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Zippy Seale

• Half Acre
  • Laughing all the way to the plot
    • The Cherry Tree Plot
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 11:27:19 »
OH has just brought in two for me to erect.
lucky we have a south facing wall that will stop any unscheduled take-offs. as it is quite sheltered where they are to sit.
with a day like to day ( sunny but windy) I reckon a good 7-10 degree above might be obtained.
but like some else said.  it is cheap staging for big greenhouse if after a few yrs the covers have gone.
they say it wouldn't grow.....ha

The Cherry Tree Plot

Art of Sowing

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal