Author Topic: Does this sound OK?  (Read 2420 times)

Rose.mary

• Acre
Does this sound OK?
« on: January 20, 2006, 16:58:16 »
Having got my greenhouse built I am now looking for staging.
I have been offered some that is flat pack, galvanised, 59" high(adjustable) x 28" long x 12" wide, they have 4 adjustable shelves. They are £10 each.
Does this sound OK? Or does somebody know of any cheaper? I have not got a clue as to the price as I have just started looking.

Rosemary

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: Does this sound OK?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 22:12:30 »
Staging comes in all sorts of manner. Size up the problem. How many are you going to need to suit your greenhouse? How much is that going to cost? Can you take it out when it comes to growing crops in there? Is it sturdy enough to take the weight of what you want to put on it (including water!)? Will the legs stand on soil?
I have made a framework of wood that I simply slide towards the wall of the green house. On top of that I use mesh rescued from an old dog cage for the shelving.
Don't go to a lot of expense if you can 'make and mend' shelving that is only going to be used for a matter of weeks.

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 22:39:09 »
Depends how you intend to utilise your greenhouse? Will you have grow bags or similar, or will it be more of a plant pot and basket type? the staging you mention is too narrow to be used as a workbench i fear! But as i say it depends on your usage!! Personally i would like a wider but shorter staging if i was to be using raised beds etc.
Cheers kevb
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 20:19:01 »
I hope you don't mind me updating this post?
 I bought three of  the above galvanised shelving and thought I would try it. It is excellent. It can be bolted together in all sorts of ways , you can put it one in front of the other and make a two shelf staging 2'x 2'4" and then you can bolt extra ones together to make a long table to work on and you can reverse the shelves to make trays for capillary matting. It is also strong enough to hold 40kgs It is very versatile, and I don't think it would take long to take down and store, but above all with it being galvanised I will be able to put it outside in Summer when I need the room for toms. and cucumbers etc. I have bought another 6 and also some of the people on the site have asked me to get them some.
By the way they were only £8.50 each. I thought when they told me the price there would be VAT added, but it was already included.

Rosemary

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 20:22:30 »
I find staging very expensive, the ones I have been looking at work out at about:

£60-80!!  :o

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 21:27:06 »
the £10 ONE SOUNDS GREAT VALUE WHERE WERE THEY FROM?
Chris Pea

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 22:12:06 »
snap with chrispea, fess up rose.mary, whar did you find them?  ;) ;D

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 00:12:59 »
Wellll..... You know how on another post I said I had to pay £120 to have my greenhouse built. The man who built it used to work as an engineer for a firm called Nichol and Wood.(based in Halifax) He told me to go and ask for 2nds.
I have them all round the greenhouse now and they are great. I also got some for other people on the site. I reckon at that price I have saved the price of building my greenhouse.
 I have also put one as shelving in my small shed, and that is just upright with four shelves. I have screwed it to the shed as I don't want it to fall on my head.
I do wish I could post pictures on here but I am not brave enough to try. One day... then I will bore you to death.

Rosemary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal