Author Topic: Tyne and Wear People?  (Read 33099 times)

DenBee

• Acre
Re: Tyne and Wear People?
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2006, 07:54:37 »
Thanks for the welcome.  My 'allotment' of an allotment is in one of the ones near the Glebe sports ground.  They're pretty well hidden, actually, and a lot of folk don't even realise they are there - right in the middle of all the housing.  I'm definitely going to chase up the letting agents for a whole one though, because having sat and trawled through this forum last night, and seen some of the amazing photos and read about what people grow, our third of a allotment isn't going to be nearly big enough.  I can probably fill the four or five beds we have been preparing there with the seeds I have sown already - currently sitting in trays in my conservatory.

Potatoes - we haven't bought them yet.  To chit or not to chit, that is the question?  :)
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2006, 14:11:59 »
WOOOHOOOOOOOO  ;D

Welcome Denbee  ;D (She's my mate ya know ... and I'm proud to call her that!)

Trixie X
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 18:06:12 »
And here was me going to preserve her reputation by letting her pretend she didn't know me.  ;D

reedos

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2006, 21:09:06 »
Hi Heldi - I lived on Duckpool Lane, probably delivered your "Advertiser" on a Thursday.

Hi DenBee, I think there used to be some on Lambton Avenue - not been to Whickham for a while but if you don't get one by the Glebe you could try there
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 21:11:41 by reedos »

Aylana

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2006, 21:37:59 »
Hi Denbee!! Good luck with your allotment!  I'm sure you will get a full sized one soon. 

Yes Busy Lizzie my potatoes are chitting away although they seem to have slowed down a bit now.  I have consoled myself by planting some basil and peas for pea tips on a windowsill.  Might start off some other seeds at the weekend.

I can't wait for this snow and coldness to ease up, I've still got loads of digging to do!!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2006, 22:43:59 »
Hi reedos.

Nah it wouldn't have been mine...Lampton Ave was before my time. Early 60's whereas I'm circa late 60's hahaha! I have been taken on a tour of where my parents used to live many a time when too young to escape.    ::)  :D

reedos

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2006, 19:10:19 »
Wouldn't have delivered their paper either then, before my time as a paper boy as well ;D

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2006, 19:49:49 »
Evening Reedos.  I've renewed my application to the site management company today.  If I don't hear in a week I'll ring them up.  I know that there are vacant (or at least unworked) plots on the allotments.  It's not an open plan site - all the plots have high hedges around them - but when you walk around you can see through the hedges at this time of year, and spot the ones that haven't been dug for quite a while.

Actually I'm on a bit of a crusade now, but trying to make it a tactful one.  If it is true that they are running down the tenancies in order to get the land vacant to build on, I'm more than a bit anti that idea.  But I don't want to rock the boat - as my husband pointed out, if we were to involve the local council (my original idea), they might support the builder, and it might hasten the end of the allotments.  So I will just persist in politely asking till I get a proper response.  And after all, it might just be an unfounded rumour.

There are still allotments on Lambton Avenue.  Definitely the place to grown alpines.  ;D  And a lovely view of the cemetery.  Actually, on driving past (which we do regularly), there seem to be some serious 'show' growers on that site - particularly in the chrysanth/dahlia fields.

reedos

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2006, 23:06:02 »
My dad had one there nearest the wall next to the road. Can't remember him bringing owt back to eat though and if he did it'll just have been spring cabbage (ugh!)
Are the ones you're after at the top end of the cricket pitch behind the big house on Whaggs Lane? Used to walk through them to get to the little park next to the comp to hang out in my teenage days.

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2006, 23:29:57 »
Those are the ones.  Less than 5 minutes walk from my front door - I live in one of the bungalows off Fellside Road.  I didn't realise till recently that the allotments were still owned by the builder who built most of the modern houses round here (no names, no pack drill  ;) ).  I looked them up on the Multimap aerial photo wotsit, and there's quite a bit of land there.  And they are excellent allotments - apart from having no running water.

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2006, 10:08:56 »
I lived in Whickham and then Sunniside for about 25 years then moved up to Stanley, where we are now.

Have some fond memories of living in Whickham. Nice place.
British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

the wizards sleeve

• Not So New ...
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2006, 14:07:19 »
i,m at newcastle road allotments  in sunderland have been here for 1 year so far and have 2 plots things are looking good know but it has been hard work to get them cleaned up but if any one is after a plot on this site there are plots vacant but need a lot of work doing

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2007, 08:59:46 »
Yay, yay, and once again yay!  ;D

I finally got a lottie.  The managing agent rang to say that Number 19 was available, if we wanted it.  I walked around, and he'd obviously taken on board what I'd said when I had to reject the last one (hidden away in a very scary place down a narrow lane, with shared access), and he's offered me one with the entrance gate right on the adjacent residential street.

It's got a big shed, and a large timber greenhouse.  The shed looks as if it needs the roof refelting.  And the greenhouse is glazed at the sides, but not on the roof.  Though as eldest daughter pointed out, it does mean we don't have to worry about watering the plants.   :P

Hasn't been worked for at least a couple of years, but it's got definite potential.  Waiting to get confirmation that we've got the right to access it now.  I really hope the previous tenant has given them the padlock keys, but I have a feeling it's going to be a burglary job to get in.  ::)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2007, 09:40:30 »
Mornin' Den  ;D

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2007, 09:42:31 »
Mornin' Trix.  Fancy a trip up to Geordie country with your jemmy?  ;D

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2007, 09:51:31 »
What on earth is a jemmy?

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2007, 09:55:06 »
Can see you've never been picked up by the police on a dark night and charged with "going equipped for burglary".   :o

A jemmy is a crowbar.  A very useful piece of kit.  We actually have one, but it was only for OH to use in prying off skirting boards, honest guv!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2007, 09:57:07 »
Oh a CROWBAR!! I've got 4  ;D Boltcroppers are better .. I have a pair ... obviously  ;D

Squashmad

• Half Acre
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2007, 13:41:03 »
Hi Everybody,

I'm  in Haydon Bridge (near Hexham). Dont have a crowbar - as far as I'm aware!!  ;D
Carole

Gillysdad

• Half Acre
  • Gateshead.
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2007, 18:15:31 »
I thought jemmy's were given as a christening present in Byker, I got one ! :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal