Author Topic: Tyne and Wear People?  (Read 33310 times)

Aylana

• Not So New ...
Tyne and Wear People?
« on: January 17, 2006, 20:28:03 »
Hello, I just wondered if there are any allotment holders up here in the good old North East?  I'm in Newcastle and I don't have an allotment yet, I am about to start the process of ringing up places near to me and being told that there are 50 year waiting lists!  Anyway, Hi to any locals!

lonegroover

Re: Tyne and Wear People?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 04:00:33 »
Hello Aylana - I got an allotment in North Tyneside last year after two years on the waiting list - with the locals warning me all summer that I was wasting my time as the plot floods in winter ! Sure enough, they were spot on.  After my efforts to improve the drainage failed miserably and it flooded before the winter even got started I was offered another which means I'm starting over again (all that digging !).
It's great fun though - good luck  - hopefully you won't need to wait too long (50 years is a bit much !)

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 09:32:34 »
There are some of the best Gardeners You will find, living in the North East.
Especially The Big onion Growers and Leek growers...
Some good pigeon flyers up their too.
Allotments were a tradition most kidswere brought up with them .
Same here in South Yorks.. In the past  they may have been an economic issue . Mining communities are big on allotments .Maybe they were a good place for fresh air etc after being cooped up in the pits... cheers..Jim
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 09:34:41 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 10:42:02 »
Hello Aylana and lonegroover.  I am in Whitley Bay and have had an allotment for almost three years now.  I find it hard to believe getting an allotment in the North East  would take 50 years Aylana, surely someone is having a joke.  There are lots of Sites in Newcastle and the surrounding area and although you might have to be on a short list, I feel sure it wouldn't be that long before you got one on one of the Sites.  Have you  logged into the web site for Newcastle Allotments?  There is some info on there about the various sites and who to get in touch with.  We have had problems with flooding on our plot too lonegroover as we are at the bottom of a sloping alley, but there are things you can do to help  improve that. Which Site are you on? Anyway you must keep in touch, Geordies must stick together.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 20:36:07 »
Hi Aylana,

Like busy lizzie, I too am in Whitley Bay. I've had my plot for 2 years

now and absolutely love it.

For me it is a place to relax in, albeit there is some hard work involved ;)

but I wouldn't be without it.

The satisfaction of growing veg/fruit, and knowing it is fresh and without

chemicals is so rewarding, especially if you like to cook and eat as we do!!

Hope it's not too long before you get a plot

Debs  :)

Busby

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 12:47:47 »
This is my first contribution to allotments 4 all forum. I'm joining it here because it was in Newcastle (I'm a Geordie too) that I really started my life as a keen allotment holder off. At the back of Walker Road, just near where it meets Allendale Road, there were, maybe still are lots of allotments stretching all the way down to the Tyne. When I was a boy in N. during the war years we always bought vegetables from a Mr Iseli who had the allotment just facing us across the back lane. He was a Swiss who had married an English girl. Later as a young man I married a Swiss girl and now live in Switzerland where I have a large allotment with plenty of room for everything. I've had it now for 36 years and I still love it.
Strangely enough it was Mr Iseli  who told me so many stories about Switzerland and I often still think of him. I was back in N. about 15 years ago and went to look at the allotments - I was dissapointed about the condition they were in. I cannot understand that they are so difficult to get - but maybe things have changed again since then.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 21:38:47 »
Well hello there!

I'm in Amble but I grew up in Newcastle.

Now I have a plot which I took on a year ago. Spent most of it clearing rubbish,no scratch that,spent all of it clearing rubbish.

Have 14 chickens and some broad beans  :D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 13:02:43 by Heldi »

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 00:21:00 »
Hi Busby,  My OH, Mike was very interested to read your post because he was born and bred in Byker and was brought up in Harbottle Street at the bottom of Raby street and in fact we started off our married life there. He knows which allotments you mean as they weren't very far from where he lived. He hasn't been down that area for a few years but he visits his sister who still lives in Byker, so he says he will take a walk down there when he next visits, so he can tell you if they still exist.  There has been an awful lot of redevelopment in Byker and a lot of new housing so perhaps the shift in the population mean't they weren't  taken up then.  How different Switzerland must  be to living in Newcastle.  It is great that you have so much space to grow your veggies now.  Will get back to you  - perhaps we can even take a pic of the area so you can see it.  :) busy_lizzie

Busby

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 11:52:00 »
Thanks for your reply busy-lizzie: It's quite fascinating to have contact in some way with those long, gone days. I'd love to see what the area looks like now. I know Harbottle Street, too. For a short time I went to the school just near there. Bowlem Street I think it was called.  My school life I started out at St. Peter's which was just at the foot of Raby Street. The school has gone now but it was a
lovely old building. Maybe your Mike knows that there were gasometers at the foot of Raby street, on the otherside of Walker Road actually - in about 1945 a tram came out of control down Raby Street and came of the rails, went through the fence and into a gasometer. 14 people were killed. I bet Mike doesn't know that!
The allotments I am talking about were directly behind 876 Walker Road, where I lived as a lad, in winter when there was a lot of snow we built sledges out of old orange boxes and went down the paths between the allotments.

My allotment here is in a lovely place. On a fine day I can see the snow covered Alps stretching from Austria almost down to the French border. Not many people have such a view!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 15:53:36 »
Hi Busby,  Isn't it a small world?  Mike went to St Peter's School too, but passed the 11 plus and went on to Heaton Grammar School.  He knows exactly where the allotments were located.  He didn't know about the tram accident which was a bit before his time  ;D .  Your allotment sounds wonderful and what amazing views.  Will try to go soon to Byker and take some photos. busy_lizzie
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 17:37:13 by busy_lizzie »

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 11:04:03 »
Busy...I went to Heaton Comprehensive as is was known when I went,same school as Mike but a bit later.(Trying not to be cheeky!)  It joined with Manor Park School during the last two years I was there and became Heaton Manor. Manor Park school has now been knocked down and has houses built on the land. Has Mike seen Heaton School recently? The old buildings have completely gone and it is now a very high tech modern,steel and glass affair. Probably called a college or some such now.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 13:03:32 by Heldi »

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 13:31:04 »
Hi Heldi, Yes Mike has seen it and it doesn't resemble the school he remembers at all.  It was a lovely building and a great school and very posh in those days (1960's),especially for a Byker lad . All the Masters wore gowns and had double barrelled names.  I have copied the below for you to see, but it is quite worn so hope it comes out okay. Won't tell you where Mike is as he would be very embarrassed.   ;D busy_lizzie
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 13:33:12 by busy_lizzie »

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 14:07:45 »
have you spoken to the newcastle allotment officer? a friend of mine got a plot as soon as he asked this summer, one of the ones near the town moor..

i'm near whitley bay, don't have a plot at the moment but i used to be a few plots away from Debs.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 14:17:42 »
My God! Mr Askew was head when I was in first year!  Yikes! S'pose it was only 1979 when I started there.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 13:04:21 by Heldi »

Aylana

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 19:28:42 »
Hello all!  You know I had completely forgotten that I had started this topic, I have just stumbled back across it now!  :-[

I have an allotment now, its near Fenham area.  It has been neglected for a long time but I am working hard and making slow progress!

I have to say I'm a bit unsure as to when to plant things as all the times mentioned seem to be more for people further south.  I am itching to get some early potatoes in but don't want to jump the gun, especially given that it has been snowing a bit today!  Will Spring ever arrive?!  ::)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 21:56:53 »
I'm itching to get some things on the go too but we'll have to hang fire for a bit yet I think.  The ground was frozen solid this morning and then turned to mush this afternoon  :(    I've got digging to do!!!!!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 22:41:24 »
I am itching to make a start too Aylana, but it is way too early I think for some things up here yet, though garlic and shallots can go in in March.   Are your potatoes chitting at the moment?  We usually put ours in during the Easter weekend.  There are a variety of seeds you could be starting off now  though while you are waiting for the thaw.  :) busy_lizzie

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2006, 19:36:59 »
Hi all - I'm a complete newbie - was only told about this forum today by another poster.

I've been trying to get an allotment on a site a few streets away from me, but they're privately owned by a large building company, and rumour has it they're not re-letting vacant ones because they'd like to build there.   ::) I live in Whickham.

In the meantime, while I chivvy up the letting agent, a nice friend has let me take over about a third of his, because it's got a bit much for him.  So my husband and I (no, my name's not Elizabeth  ;) ) are digging that over.

It's a long time since I did any of this veg growing lark, and I'm really looking forward to it.  We even went and bought a Focus greenhouse the other day.  Watch this space for many newbie gardener mistakes and disappointments.
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2006, 19:54:11 »
Good Luck with your share of an allotment Denbee. A friend of mine lives in Whickham too and shares an allotment with one of the old timers who actually owns his, not far from where she lives in Broadpool Green.  They all seem to be personally owned by the allotmenteers at her site and have no committee structure as such, to help run them.  I am sure you will get the hang of it, and there is plenty of help here for anything you would like to brush up on.  :) busy_lizzie

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2006, 22:29:36 »
Hi Denbee!

I know Whickham. My brother was born there. Lampton Avenue is where my family lived...long before I was born! Nearly moved there a few years back but instead I came to live by the sea.

Lots of luck with your allotment !

H x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal