Author Topic: Why use a seed bed?  (Read 5530 times)

MaryM

• Quarter Acre
Why use a seed bed?
« on: January 05, 2006, 17:54:05 »
Can anyone explain to me please the benefit of using a seed bed as opposed to just planting straight io the area in which the vegetable is to be grown?

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: Why use a seed bed?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 18:05:54 »
 ;D

Good question!!! Another one that I always wondered about and thought that everyone else knew!!!

;)

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 19:47:19 »
Dependant on the crop you get a better root system and stronger plant.  Brocolli is one of those I believe and I certainly saw a difference between seed bed and seed tray sown plants with the former being stronger.

There are disadvantages as well in that watering in can cause a crust through which the seedlings can't grow,  pests eat them! , weeds strangle them and poor weather conditions can prevent good germination rates.

In most cases I think I prefer seed tray sowings!
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 19:55:39 »
because a seed bed is a little area where you can get really good soil. and then protect it from birds slugs easier. you cant really net your whole lottie.

plus you would put it somewhere sheltered so the plants can grow and get strong before being exposed to winds etc.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 20:10:02 »
Mary - like others, you say planting straight out. Assume you mean sowing?

As said, more reliable in a prepared bed, & more easily protected & watered. But also:
1. You sow 50 in a small space to get 20 or so.
2. You select only the strongest to plant out.
3. You choose the best time to plant out.
4. You pull in succession.
5. With Brassica, at least, pulling the plantlet breaks the tap root & that's good.
6. Shall I go on??
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 11:00:53 by tim »

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 20:12:01 »

5. With Brassica, at least, pulling the plantlet breaks the tap root & that's good.

Tim,  can you explain that one please.  I wasvery very careful last year to avoid damaging any roots!!  :-\  Iain 
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Conzla

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 20:28:10 »
Hi Icyberjunkie
By pulling the tap root this encourages many more roots to grow, making the the whole thing stronger.......I think ;D

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 07:36:31 »
oh!  Thanks Conzla.  So does that mean that the plantlets should be pulled up rather than dug up?

Conzla

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 08:08:52 »
yeah pull them up gently, but with enough energy to break the main root.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 08:27:39 »
That may explain why some of my broccoli fell over then ... like Iain, I always took a lot of care not to damage roots. What a wonderful source of information this site is ...

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 11:02:39 »
It is not always supported by practice. For instance, all plug plants grow away quite happily??

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 11:43:03 »
Hi All
   Sory Guys Ive got to disagree about this one . Any damage caused to the root system is bad news it encourages infection disease and mould. I have always been told to ensure that all roots remain intact and the plant suffers less.
Regards
Chris

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 12:09:18 »
Sorry Chris - I have to disagree! In 70 years of growing, with my Father or for myself, I do not recall any infection through pulling. No clubroot. Nothing.

But, as said, it has not been proven essential?

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 12:12:23 »
We will agree to disagree.
Regards
Chris
PS Don't damage your roots

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 15:53:55 »
depends on the plant.

i know a lot, if not all fruit tree growers now prune the roots before sneding them out, not to cut down on postage costs but like purning the top, it encourages new roots and stringer, healthier growth.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 16:23:43 »
Chris - I agree!!

And I'm only talking of brassicas.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2006, 20:00:04 »
I wouldn't use a seed bed because if you drop on a bit of land for your seed bed  that has club root, You have lost your brassicas before You start . Or if You hadn't noticed it on the plants and set em out , You would spread it  all over lotty..
I prefer to use sterile compost to start my seeds off in ...
I have been at this growing game a while and must admit  I have never heard of breaking roots on brassicas  I always try to keep the root ball intact.  I ain't saying my way is right .I just stick to what works for  Me...Jim
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 20:07:22 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

Conzla

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2006, 20:16:36 »
ill tell you what we do guys & girls.......... all of us plant brassicas we will each break a couple of roots and each plant a couple like they are. see what turns out best???

amphibian

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2006, 11:15:00 »
Can I ignore the instructions on my seed packet which say to sow in a seed bed and sow in a seed tray instead?  This is for leeks (Hannibal) to be sown in January. 
Thanks
D

You can start out in a seed tray and then plant out or pot on, you can then plant them into their final position when they are pencil sized, or thin and leave where they are.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2006, 11:56:15 »
Can I ignore the instructions on my seed packet which say to sow in a seed bed and sow in a seed tray instead?  This is for leeks (Hannibal) to be sown in January. 
Thanks
D

I sowed mine in a pot, Dominique, last year, & planted them out. No probs. Having the last for lunch today...memo to self...30 wasn't enough..and shall start them off in pots again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal