Author Topic: Can I convert it into a compost bin?  (Read 9202 times)

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
Can I convert it into a compost bin?
« on: November 01, 2005, 21:38:41 »
I have an old plastic bin (we've all been given wheelie bins now) and I was wondering if it could be converted into a compost bin? At the moment it is behind my shed at home, but I'm sure it could be put to use on my lottie.

Also pondered other uses:

Water butt?
Grow spuds in it?

What do other people use their old bins for?

myrtle

• Half Acre
Re: Can I convert it into a compost bin?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 21:46:04 »
I've been using an old red dustbin for about 20 years as a compost bin. It works really well!  Turn it upside down, cut out the bottom ( I use this bit on top of the stuff in the bin) place it over a patch of soil (upside down) and use the lid on top.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 21:47:03 »
If you want to use it as a compost bin you will need to chop the bottom off it.  For potatoes, you will need to put some drainage holes in the bottom.  I personally think I would go the potato route as it is probably a bit small as a compost bin or water butt.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 22:01:15 »
Great advice!

Maybe I will stick to making a composter from old pallets? Not really sure how many compost bins I would need for my half plot?

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 22:18:23 »
Would it be worth buying the cheap ones through my local council?

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 22:27:28 »
Cost £9 through our Council! Blooming cheek!

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 22:32:01 »
Cost me £14.97 for a 330 litre "Dalek" ... have I just been conned ? ? ?    {:¬ (
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 22:34:50 »
I got three for a fiver each through Blackwall.  Might try the same thing as you Wardy, or get my mate to order some.

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 22:38:17 »
I have 11 bins now including one pallet one

You really are the compost bin expert! I can't believe how many you have! :o

Whilst on the subject - is it ok to put the seed heads of weeds in the compost?

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 22:39:21 »
Just been walking home from the pub  ...ermm ... was there for a  .... erm  ...survey of the quality of the beer mats they used these days  *hic* and spotted MOUNTAINS of leaves lying around all the streets, so, gonna make the locals think I am weirder than they already think I am and go around with a leaf rake and loadza bin-liners and collect them up  ... waits for the knock on the door from the people in white coats   .....
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

powerspade

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 23:10:24 »
I use old wheelie bins to make compost with a hole cut out in the bottom they work very well

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 23:14:21 »
Now, if I was to combine all my binliners full of leaves with an old wheelie bin (have they become "old" yet ?) I could well have a working system  .... starts writing a thesis  ........  *scribble, scribble, scribble*

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 16:26:23 »
I am City of Lincoln - I will check out to see whether your price is the County Council price and will check to see whether the City Council is still running their scheme.

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2005, 16:36:55 »
Wardy - mine were the 220 ones - was not offered the 330 ones but might try for them next time.

East Lindsey's record on anything environmental is pretty poor.  Their recycling facilities are not very good and I have seen no evidence of any doorstep based recycling - my school is in East Lindsey near Horncastle.

For anybody in Lincoln here is the page - http://www.lincoln.gov.uk/news_det.asp?id=6055&sec_id=468

For East Lindsey the link is:
http://www.e-lindsey.gov.uk/environment/waste-management/recycling/compost-faq.cfm

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2005, 22:03:02 »
Ours use to be £16 but recently they had a scheme for £3 each, max 2. Its great now, one for leaves!

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2005, 14:37:18 »
So do I  :)

weedgrower

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2005, 10:23:35 »
well i'm sorry to say guys that i got 3 compost bins for free of chorley borough council. all i had to do was take a leaflet down to a big car park where they had two big arctics full of compost bins, fill out a form and they gave me 3 bins. they wanted to sell be the bottoms of the bins, called them converters, for £6 each but you didnt have too
takes over your life doesn't it

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2005, 12:18:10 »
Our Council also do a 2 weekly collection of green waste (alternating with nonrecyclable waste). I have to say I'd rather have a compost bin in my garden. Quite often we go weeks without needing the green bin emptied. Also a lot of people have to keep the bins at the front of their houses as they don't have easy access to their back gardens - I think this looks so awful! I keep mine in the back garden, but have to drag them round the back of 4 houses and then round the front of them as well, just to put them out! >:( Councils should consult with us before making these decisions.

Hey ho!

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2005, 19:20:42 »
Think yourselves lucky you do not live in Surrey. The cost for a compost bin from the council is £15, but they are well made and delivered free.
I think every house should have at least one.

Lottie3

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2005, 22:06:32 »
Just been walking home from the pub  ...ermm ... was there for a  .... erm  ...survey of the quality of the beer mats they used these days  *hic* and spotted MOUNTAINS of leaves lying around all the streets, so, gonna make the locals think I am weirder than they already think I am and go around with a leaf rake and loadza bin-liners and collect them up  ... waits for the knock on the door from the people in white coats   .....

Hee hee I waited until everyone had cleared their leaves up - the council here have a garden waste collection every couple of weeks and then went and knocked on a couple of doors and had me a whole load of bags full of leaves  ;D filled my newly built leaf thingy in one hit.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal