Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 5319 times)

Linda32

• Not So New ...
Re: Newbie
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2005, 13:24:57 »
Hiya, I'm pretty new as well, hope you enjoy yourself here.

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2005, 14:01:51 »
Hi Haw Haw.  Only got my lottie last spring, so only have one season's experience, but absolutely agree wtih all the 'a bit at a time' advice.  Make sure it stays fun, and doesn't become something you end up feeling 'guilty' and unhappy about!  It's your own bit of land, so do what makes you happy, when it makes you happy  :)

sussexcliff

• Not So New ...
  • It's not shirt sleeve weather at the moment!
    • And I work (when I'm not at the allotment) at
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2005, 17:27:11 »
Enough of all this working, my objective is having a glass of wine whilst watching the grapes ripen.

Well at least a picnic table and a few chairs and a way of making a cup of tea. though at the moment I'm getting thro' four litres of water every day digging!

Another courgette and some french beans to pick tomorrow. It's what keeps you going, that or getting the next raised bed ready in time... for the broad beans.

Looking forward to choosing my potatoes for next year, the taste is so much better than shop stuff. Bye the bye, have a look at Alan Romans site, I've just ordered some seeds @50p a sachet, yet to decide on pots and looking forward to his toms.

Cliff
Just muddling along, trying various crops, styles etc, will repeat what works. Will try again what doesn't!!
Photo is of me ballet dancing or is it watering the strawberries?

CK

• Not So New ...
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2005, 17:49:35 »
hi everyone

i am new to allotments, new to computers, new to forums...a real baby.

I have had my allotment since April and this year was just really surprised that anything i planted actually grew!  I had a great crop of potatoes and dwarf beans, not to mention peas, carrots and runners... i think i did pretty well.  Net year i am planning it more - which probably means nothing will grow!!

A bit of advise though - when do you plant raspberries - and what is a good variety?

???

Thanks guys

hawhaw

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2005, 17:58:37 »
Hi from one newbie to another.

CK

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2005, 18:00:48 »
hi hawhaw

great name

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2005, 18:32:45 »
Hi HawHaw & CK , my philosophy is that if a job gets done, that's a good thing ... if it doesn't get done, then I've got another little job to look forward to , and that's a good thing as well.     {:¬)#
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

hemajo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2005, 19:57:18 »
hi everyone

A bit of advise though - when do you plant raspberries - and what is a good variety?

I have ordered a variety called Joan J, and I have been told to plant them when they arrive (which will be sometime during late autumn or winter.   I have prepared a bed, and have put a bit of manure on top to rot down while I am waiting for the canes to arrive. 
Helen

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2005, 20:16:23 »
My best advice is to do what you fancy when you fancy it. There's so much to do on an allotment, as long as you're doing something, everything ends up done eventually. I have days where I just want to dig, days where I fancy doing all my hedges and days where I do bits of 50 different jobs without finding one I'm really into. I also have days where I do 5 minutes on and 15 off and I've learned not to feel guilty about them. Somewhere along the line it all gets done.

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2005, 23:09:44 »
Sometimes I just sit and listen to the birds singing. The best thing though is to take lots of photos so that if you get discouraged you can look back and see what a difference you have made.

AndyC

• Not So New ...
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2005, 20:30:09 »
Welcome HawHaw ;D I am fairly new too and everyone here has answered my stupid questions with great courtesy.  Enjoy your lottie!
Couch grassin', ever diggin', bed mulchin', back breakin', poo spreadin', slow livin', veg growin'....Andy!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal