Author Topic: Cheap Ground Cover Material?  (Read 5720 times)

onion_grower

• Not So New ...
Cheap Ground Cover Material?
« on: September 06, 2005, 20:09:02 »
I have taken on a new plot and would like to cover it for a year whilst I slowly work my way back by digging by hand as I am an organic gardener. My plot is roughly 21 meters by 3.5 meters. I am after some Cheap ground cover material. (I would not like to use old carpets if I could help it.) Something that is the size of 3m by 5m roughly. I have seen the blue tarpaulins and they are a little expensive at £13 each. Could anyone help me by giving some advice. Thank you in advance.

pntalbot

• Half Acre
Re: Cheap Ground Cover Material?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 20:21:40 »
I bought mine off Ebay -- 100m of Black Weeding Material for £25 delivered,I`m sure you could get 21m for a lot loss.I am also advised ,since buying mine ,Tesco do Black Plastic Covering,but not sure of price.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 20:31:43 »
The big blue ground sheets can be got from Wickes at 4.99.  I use them to cover the manure pile but they aren't water permeable so prefer black sheet mulch which I've got from Allplaz.  If anyone can get it cheaper please let me know (this is good stuff with the square stripes on)  www.aplaz.co.uk
 :)   I have just got some on a bulk roll which is 2m wide but there are other widths.  I paid £45 ish for a 50 m x 2 m roll  This is delivered

Even cheaper ground cover material is cardboard  :)  I cadge it from the electric shop and the stiff stuff is good for ground cover, walking on, round your plants, making compost bins.  all sorts of uses  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 20:40:43 »
If you go to a builders merchant you can get black plastic, 6 mtrs. X 2.5 mtrs.  for free that the timber comes in. I already have 10 sheets of this and can get as much as I want. In fact I staple two sheets together for added strength. Next time I collect some I will take some jam/chutney for the guys. As a bonus they also let me have some of the wood offcuts for my wood burning fire ;D

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 21:10:54 »
wow ani - you have that sussed don't you! Like your work  ;D

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 23:56:56 »
Really cheap: Layers of newspaper 3 or 4 sheets thick, or cardboard, covered with light sprinkling of soil to hold it down. Weeds will grow in it, but in spring when you want to plant you can prise it up and roll it back like turf.

onion_grower

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 02:20:53 »
Thank You for the posts and advice :)

You have been very helpfull :)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 10:15:22 »
I use full thickness newspapers too and they work well on docks, thistle, nettles etc.  This is in addition to sheet mulch.  I check under that periodically and any persistent weeds get the newspaper on top and the mulch gets put back.  In a week or so any stubborn weeds have usually succumbed  :)  Getting rid of weeds this was is slow but it saves money of glyphos and is more organic. You're then left with a weed free surface which is easier to dig as you don't have that mess of weeds.  I don't dig though but the clear soil is easier to plant into  :)  Takes a bit of time to clear beds but I'm in no hurry  :)

mellor

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 07:40:29 »
Well i ordered some plactic of allplaz.co.uk yesterday at around 13.00 and would you beleive it they woke the Mrs up this morning at 7.15am wi th the delievery. Well recommended.

Cheers wardy

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 11:51:42 »
Yes, they're like lightening aren't they? 

giantseye

• Half Acre
  • I love my lottie
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 18:18:27 »
Hi

I have picked up 2 blue tarpaulins from B&Q.  They were £4.99 each and have lasted well.   :D :D

It may be an idea to have a look at the local machinery auctions, which also have allsorts of equipment for the lottie owner to get as well.

Give you local auctioneers a ring and see if they do a local auction.  You'll be amazed at what you can find at them :D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 11:40:34 »
Just ordered me black plastic and it's cost £45 for 50 m x 2 m but with vat and delivery cost £59.96

They've just phoned me to confirm I'll get it on Monday  :)

I'll have to take good care of it

chuff

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 20:36:43 »
I bought black silage cover from a local farm suppliers 8m x 50m for £45 inc vat ;D

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 23:38:22 »
I agree that cardboard is really good at suppressing weeds. I used it on areas that I wanted to clear later and held it down with bricks at the corners. The soil underneath was much much easier to dig and the weeds came out more easily. Plus it lets the soil breathe unlike plastic. When it gets messy you can put it on the compost heap. (It's also cheap, which I like!)

onion_grower

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2005, 12:00:32 »
I like the sound of cardboard! Also the silage covers. :)

This thread has been very informative thanks :) I hope it helps others also.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2005, 14:21:05 »
the black sheet mulch is breathable.  It's not solid plastic as in plastic sheeting but rather it's a woven plastic fabric so it breathes and lets water through.

I use cardboard to walk on too as it keeps mud off me boots.  I use it right up agaisnt my brassicas and celeriac at the mo to keep weeds at bay.  As it goes soggy I chuck it in the compost bin.  Good stuff is cardboard  :)

tommyaweek

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 21:25:37 »
Hi ani what builders merchant did you go to I live in dagenham and local one don't have any
Where abouts did you get your's from?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal