Author Topic: Bramble wine  (Read 4833 times)

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
Bramble wine
« on: August 24, 2005, 20:26:49 »
Anyone got any good recipies for bramble wine?  :)
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
Re: Bramble wine
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 16:12:23 »
Unsure if you mean from bramble shoots or blackberry fruit so here's one of each.
Not tried these but they are from a reliable source.
                               Bramble wine
·   1 gallon of tips of young blackberry shoots
·   3 pounds granulated sugar
·   1 tsp acid blend
·   1 tsp yeast nutrient
·   7 pts water
·   Montrachet wine yeast
Boil the blackberry tips for one hour, adding water to replace evaporation. Put sugar in primary and strain water onto sugar, stirring until dissolved. Cover and set aside to cool. Stir in acid blend and nutrient, and then add activated yeast. Recover and put in warm spot. When active ferment dies down (about 7 days), transfer to secondary and fit airlock. Put in warm place until fermentation completely stops. Rack into sanitized secondary, top up and refit airlock. Move to a cold place for six months, checking airlock occasionally. Rack into bottles and age additional six months. [Adapted from recipe by Women's Institute Members' Home Made Wines, Syrups and Cordials, 1954, London]
Or…

·   3 lb blackberries
·   2 1/4 lb sugar
·   1 gal boiling water
·   Yeast nutrient
·   pectic enzyme
·   Yeast

Wash, pick over berries. Crush in pan, pour boiling water over. Stir well, cool to lukewarm, add pectic enzyme per instructions. Leave 24-36 hours, and then add yeast and nutrient. Cover well, leave for 4-5 days, stirring daily. Strain, add sugar; stir well so that sugar is all dissolved. Pour into dark fermenting jar, fill to shoulder, fit airlock. Keep the spare liquor in a smaller bottle, also with airlock/cotton wool. When ferment slows down sufficiently for there to be no risk of it foaming through the trap (about 1 week), top it up with the spare wine to the base of the neck, refit the airlock Leave it until it clears, then rack
 Recipes by jack Keller
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 16:15:18 by Travman »

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 14:01:45 »
Thanks Travman  ;D
Can't wait to have a go.
I didn't know that you could make wine from the shoots, so that is a bonus.
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

HO

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 21:51:09 »
Tried bramble wine a long time ago, following a recipe by a long gone chap called Bravery. I think he's long gone. If you are reading this , Mr Bravery, then sorry. Anyway it was awful stuff, thick, sweet and generally a bit like cordial. Went down well with ladies at parties. Told I should have added a lot more lemon. To be fair , though I reckon I have made , before I gave up, more bad wine than anyone I know. In fact it was nearly all awful so perhaps I have done Mr Bravery an injustice: sorry. The only half decent stuff I made was made with tinned grape juice and sauterne yeast , for a party. It was OK, even after three weeks to everyones amazement, particularly mine. Coming back to bramble wine I was at this time leaving college (Worcester College of Education) and had about ten demijohns . In desperation I put it in a friends old henhouse. During the summer, in my absence when a departing fiancee caused my my mind  to be  elsewhere the roof of this rotten old henhouse blew off and all the airlocks dried out. The wine oxidised and it all ended up tasting like sherry, bad sherry of course. The best bad sherry was the four brambles so I kept these and when I subsequently married, my wife used this stuff for cooking. Lasted us years but each time some was used I had to endure a few not unkind but "fun" comments about my wine-making abilities. It was about that time I turned to beer making. Moral: if your bramble wine turns out bad then find an old henhouse.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal