Author Topic: 'leisure garden' allotments  (Read 5560 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
'leisure garden' allotments
« on: August 18, 2004, 13:09:28 »
I think these are a great idea. There was an article about them in this months GW magazine

These are allotments with a difference, more like gardens than alotments complete with summerhouses. Great i think for those who want a garden but dont have one at home. based on a dutch idea i beleive

Anyone know of such a site, knows of someone with a leisure plot, or would just like to have one if only they had one nearby. Anyone actualy dislike the idea?

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
Re:'leisure garden' allotments
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 13:21:23 »
Where I have just been allocated my lottie there are 16 plots and only a handful are used as allotments as the terrace of houses that are situated in front only have courtyards and it seems that they have taken a lottie as garden - one even has a tree house!

I don't have a problem with this at all but i must say that I did feel a little disapointed that there weren't more people growing veg. All but a few are well kept and look nice and out of all these there are only two that are overgrown and I have been allocated one of them!

Sam

"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 18:42:52 »
As long as the plots are looked after and cared for, what does it matter?

I know lotties are meant for growing veggies, but in this day and age when houses are crammed in with little or no gardens then why not use a lottie as an (extra) garden?

DocAlgae

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 08:21:16 »
I have to confess that we're intending on using our new lottie as a sort-of "leisure garden" as we have a piddly small courtyard garden that is surrounded on one side by a massive two storey extension, and the other by the equivalent of the Berlin Wall.  Hence we get no light whatsoever :(  We are going to grow loads of stuff in the lottie, but leave one bed-equivalent to grass so we can put the deckchairs out on it in the summer! ;)

Pixie

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 10:26:33 »
I really don't have a problem with it at all. I think that as long as they are well kept it is nice to see any form of garden.

I fully intend on using the very bottom of my lottie (will post pics soon) as a bit of a wildlife garden with pond so I can sit down there and enjoy it.   ;D

Sam

jo2

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate couch grass
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 16:55:52 »
I like the idea but worry that there is a possibility that the garden keepers might start getting snotty about 'ugly' veg allotments.

ShedHead

• Not So New ...
  • It's OK, I'm a carnivore bunny...
    • Our allotment tussles with Gloucester City Council
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 15:39:49 »
We've been trying to get together a campaign for the past couple of months to save our allotments from closure - one idea being to 'regenerate'  the site by making a leisure garden.

I feel some people who'd really like a plot are put off by a couple of attributes of the trad allotment - the name (sounds a bit 'old' to some folk) and the sheer size of the plot they feel they'd have to take.

I've put our battle with the local authority on the web - http://www.townham.org.uk

comments appreciated...

Pixie

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 08:58:44 »
Hi Shed Head

What a fab informative website! ;D you must be very pleased with it.

Keep us updated on whats happening. I think you have got a good idea if no one is using the plots at all. I would still like to see some veg rather than all grass but hey ho needs must.

I think a lot of the time stereo typing does get in the way. My partners friends thought I was mad when I wanted a lottie and took the mick because its aparently something you do when your retired!
But I bet they wont refuse jams - veg etc when offered  ;D

Sam

Mrs J

Re: 'leisure garden' allotments
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 17:25:44 »
Hi. Just picked up on this old thread.
We have a Guinea Garden which dates back to Victorian times. They were let out to folk (for a guinea a year) who lived in back to back housing and the like and who didn't have a garden. Some people built brick dwellings on their gardens and used them as holiday homes, others would grow their own produce and/or keep livestock.
The site that we're on is Grade 2 listed, mainly because of the hawthorn bushes which surround each garden, and there's a lot of serious growing going on, although as long as you keep your plot maintained, there are no 'rules'. There's a lovely atmosphere as we all feel priviledged to have a part of such a wonderful space.
Mrs J

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 19:50:24 »
It sounds idyllic  :)   Mind your wheelbarrow wheels on that hawthorne hedge.  We've burst two already   ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2005, 20:01:47 »
 ;D ;D ;D
Leisure gardens.....FAB IDEA!!!!!!
I know of a site in Newcastle where they have seating areas and a plot where the local primary school kids grow stuff, as well as the "ordinary" allotments we all know and love.
I live in a flat, so my plot here in Oldham is the only patch of green I have access to. I intend to make a "relaxation" patch within it as well as do my best to feed myself!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 09:38:56 »
This is my relaxation patch - just weeds which were strimmed and now kept mowed.  We're going to have some fruits trees here.  My oh has made a table from bits of scrap wood and a piece of brill yellow solid plastic stuff he found.  Doubles up as a potting table as well  :)  We have an assortment of chairs and it's becoming quite a popular draw with our family and friends, who if we're not in come to find us on the plot, and usually bring a bottle of something or my sister and co usually turns up with fish n chips  ;D  Our plot is massive so we had intended to turn it all over to veg when we took it on last year but my old man suggested we just keep it mowed for a bit and then we could always use it if we ran out of growing room.  Don't think we will so we just keep it tidy.  There were loads of divots where we've dug rasps out but we filled holes with soil and a bit of grass seed.  We have planted new privet to fill gaps in the hedge, have a wildlife area in the far corner where we've stacked old logs  :)  I've just ordered some butyl to make a little pond  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal