Author Topic: Wolseley Merry tiller  (Read 6575 times)

chris conniff

Wolseley Merry tiller
« on: June 26, 2005, 16:40:39 »
Have been given very old tiller for community growing group. will not spark. Has any one got a manual available or advice on how to get going (will not spark despite cleaning and replacing parts). Thanks.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Wolseley Merry tiller
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 17:02:27 »
Will not spark or start??

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 23:26:24 »
It'll be the magneto more than likely, try your local Qualcast dealer or fit another engine, you can pick them up quite cheaply on Ebay

chris conniff

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 17:23:54 »
Thanks for reply Tim. Will not start because the spark plug is not sparking .(so my husband advises me!)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 18:00:57 »
Noted!

It wasn't such a stupid question - many people wouldn't know how to check that.

Had it just been 'not firing', it could have been helpful to tip a few spoons of petrol into the air filter/ carburettor intake.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 00:46:28 »
Make sure that it is not just the spark plug which isn`t working - disconnect the plug and hold the end of the lead about 1/8 inch from an unpainted part of the engine while turning the engine over.  If there is no spark then remove the spark plug and:

1. Assuming that your Merrytiller has a Flywheel Magneto, remove the magneto cowling, then remove the Flywheel.
2. Check that the plug lead is firmly connected
3. Check that all the other internal wires are firmly connected and none broken or loose
4. Turn the engine over until the contact breaker points are fully open, and check that the contact breaker points are clean and that the contacting surfaces are flat.  If necessary clean them using a piece of fine sandpaper wrapped around a nail file.  If the points are badly burnt or pitted this indicates a weak or faulty condenser (this is the small round tubular gadget usually clamped to the stator plate and easily replaced by loosening the clamp and disconnecting the lead)
5. Reset the points (while still fully open) to a gap of .018 - .020 inch (you will need a feeler gauge)  To adjust the gap loosen the larger of the two screws which locks the moving point plate, then turn the smaller screw (which is eccentric) to either increase or decrease the gap, then tighten the larger screw again. Check the gap again when you have done this.
6. Turn the engine again until the points close and make sure that the points close fully.
7. Re-assemble and test for spark without the plug attached to the pluglead.

If there is still no spark then either the condenser or the coil needs replacing (the coil is the expensive one).

Best of luck

P.S. Should have mentioned that the flywheel retaining nut usually has a left hand thread, so you loosen it by turning clockwise (the wrong way) and vice versa

« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 01:10:28 by Kepouros »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 08:24:44 »
That's worth framing!!

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 22:48:28 »
Chris, if there is anything in my posting that you don`t understand, or if you`re not sure how to make a start, or how to get to the magneto, please come back and I`ll try to be more explicit.

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 13:36:36 »
Having been a biker chick, the only thing I can recommend is to clean 'em (spark plugs).   Such a simple thing, yet they can get mucky if you are constantly trying to turn over an engine with no luck.

Anyhow, I'm sure you're already dealt with the problem following that post from Kepouros.  Respect bro!  Sure sound like a person who knows a lot about rotivators!
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal