Produce > Edible Plants

Ideal Allotment Layout

<< < (2/3) > >>

Robert_Brenchley:
I have four compost bins, and so far it's never been enough; I have mountains of rotted-down turf and weeds which gradually gets redistributed. The maountains grow a bit more slowly every year, and I look forward to the day when everything's properly under control and I don't need them!

AndrewB:
Has anyone any cheap & effective ideas for paths between beds.  Have no old carpet, some people have used woodchips but don't know where to get them from.

Justy:
Hi Andrew - speak to your local council - they will often deliver woodchips for nothing.  Also check to see if anyone around you is cutting down trees or big shrubs - again the council will ususally come and chip them for you for nothing (do round by me anyway!)  I have used them as paths and they work really well.

redimp:
I would add that anything large (eg a shed) should be on the northern edge of your plot so it does not throw any valuable land into shadow.  The person who had my plot previous to me planted some trees and raspberries on the souther edge of my plot so I have an area that is more or less permanently in shadow.  Come Autumn, I might move the area of raspberries if that is possible.

Also - pond (for frogs and toads) and a wood pile with a box underneath (for hedgehogs) are useful aids to pest control.

PS - not known on my plot as a conventional gardener despite everything I do being based on folklore and organic techniques.

redimp:

--- Quote from: AndrewB on June 11, 2005, 11:23:58 ---Has anyone any cheap & effective ideas for paths between beds.  Have no old carpet, some people have used woodchips but don't know where to get them from.

--- End quote ---
I am going to use the stones I am digging out (stoney plot) to make paths.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version