Produce > Edible Plants

Ideal Allotment Layout

<< < (3/3)

derbex:
So far my paths are just grass and mud -which is better than the nettles and thistles they used to be. One of our local tree surgeons will deliver woodchips for free, I'm thinking of using them as mulch on my fruit area.

Good point about the shed, trees &c. -check for shading. One more thing, think about permanent beds for things like asparagus, artichokes &c., having them around the edge may not be ideal.

Jeremy

AndrewB:
Thanks for the advice re paths, I'll try the Council first.  My paths are currently covered with fabric which strong weeds are penetrating.

Gillian:
Hi,
I have a somewhat unconventional layout for my tiny plot, (you can see a plan on my site if you like). It's based around triangles and diamond shapes. Has the four beds in rotational places and the middle diamond is half a herb garden and permanent veg and half a wild flower garden. My fruit bushes sit off to the left along with my (small) cold fram and (small) compost bin. For the paths I used weed-suppressing fabric covered with wood chip and I finished it off with a nice bench at the top.

The other plot holders gave me a few funny looks when I started to lay out the plot with string and poles - one person asked me if I was making a Union Jack! (nope). I know it probably doesn't make full use of the space I have but as I don't have much of a garden at home mtp doubles as a pleasant place to sit on a Saturday - so I wanted it just so...

I'm not saying this is a good way to do it - just the way I have done it. And it was fun!

Doris_Pinks:

--- Quote from: AndrewB on June 11, 2005, 11:23:58 ---Has anyone any cheap & effective ideas for paths between beds.  Have no old carpet, some people have used woodchips but don't know where to get them from.

--- End quote ---
  Try asking at your local carpet shop, they usually have loads they want to get rid of, worth an ask!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version