Author Topic: Ideal Allotment Layout  (Read 8932 times)

daveev

• Not So New ...
Ideal Allotment Layout
« on: June 11, 2005, 06:22:02 »
Hi all, just found this site, very useful and informative. Newbie to plotting (started in  March) sharing a large plot with established allotment member which has been great and a total education. Love it so much that Ive taken on an extra small plot for myself with view to start growing next year.

Wondered if anyone had some suggestions on layouts for the ideal plot?
Im aware of the need for the following but any additional suggestions would be great
Shed,Greenhouse, Waterbutts, do most actually use compost bins and are they worth taking up the space?coldframe, perreniels and fruit bushes around the edges, 4 main beds for rotation, herb bed. Just want to get cracking with a layout so want to get it right from the off.

Also very interested in  trying 'squarefootgardening' - check www.squarefootgardening.com

A few sneer at new techniques but be interesting to see if it works well as its claimed to be quite revolutionary

Soz fir the long message
Dave

Justy

• Hectare
Re: Ideal Allotment Layout
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 08:16:00 »
Think compost bin is essential!  You will probably never make enough to do away with bags of compost but it is so fantastic to do and use that you must have at least one bin.  I have 2 and get kitchen scraps from friend to help fill it.   I have shed, mini greenhouse and compost bins, poo and stuff together at one end.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 08:36:41 »
Yup you definitely want compost bins, I'd say at least 2 but 3 or 4 is better. 1 to add to, 1 to rot & 1 to use. They don't have to be permanent, you can move them around and grow on the enriched ground where they were. Start it off early -a lot of the stuff you clear can go in there.

Beyond that I'd say go for a bed system -less annual digging, easier to rotate &c. and the more the merrier, don't know how big your plot is but I've about 8 12' x 4.5' beds. Narrow enough to reach to the middle, not to long to walk round.

You might consider a comfrey bed -makes a great fertiliser, so I've read, won't know 'til next year.

Jeremy

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 08:51:54 »
i echo derbex's thoughts. i have two dalek compost bins which will be in a different place next year. i can move them to fit into my rotation plan ;)

i also use the bed system - when i took over the plot the whole area was 'growing area' but i didnt like treading on the soil, so divided the area into beds, with carpet paths between.now watering and planting from the edges is dead easy.

there are lots of good ideas in the squarefoot garding theory - even if you dont go for the actual square foot regimented bit ;) many space saving tips to be had.

herbs can be planted anywhere between your other plants - so unless it's a perennial herb (in which case it goes in the perennial border) i pop my herbs between plants. dill likes cabbage, basil likes toms (or the other way round) - read up on companion planting and use your head ;) as some combinations seem pretty impractical.

cant help with the shed and greenhouse/coldframe bit - i dont have those. i only have a small toolshed which for me is sufficient (but then i live very close to the allotment site)

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Irish Eyes

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 09:04:34 »
For something very different check out the link below

http://www.recycling.moonfruit.com/ :-\

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 10:08:54 »
I have four compost bins, and so far it's never been enough; I have mountains of rotted-down turf and weeds which gradually gets redistributed. The maountains grow a bit more slowly every year, and I look forward to the day when everything's properly under control and I don't need them!

AndrewB

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 11:23:58 »
Has anyone any cheap & effective ideas for paths between beds.  Have no old carpet, some people have used woodchips but don't know where to get them from.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 11:28:30 »
Hi Andrew - speak to your local council - they will often deliver woodchips for nothing.  Also check to see if anyone around you is cutting down trees or big shrubs - again the council will ususally come and chip them for you for nothing (do round by me anyway!)  I have used them as paths and they work really well.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 11:43:48 »
I would add that anything large (eg a shed) should be on the northern edge of your plot so it does not throw any valuable land into shadow.  The person who had my plot previous to me planted some trees and raspberries on the souther edge of my plot so I have an area that is more or less permanently in shadow.  Come Autumn, I might move the area of raspberries if that is possible.

Also - pond (for frogs and toads) and a wood pile with a box underneath (for hedgehogs) are useful aids to pest control.

PS - not known on my plot as a conventional gardener despite everything I do being based on folklore and organic techniques.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2005, 11:46:41 »
Has anyone any cheap & effective ideas for paths between beds.  Have no old carpet, some people have used woodchips but don't know where to get them from.
I am going to use the stones I am digging out (stoney plot) to make paths.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2005, 14:08:49 »
So far my paths are just grass and mud -which is better than the nettles and thistles they used to be. One of our local tree surgeons will deliver woodchips for free, I'm thinking of using them as mulch on my fruit area.

Good point about the shed, trees &c. -check for shading. One more thing, think about permanent beds for things like asparagus, artichokes &c., having them around the edge may not be ideal.

Jeremy

AndrewB

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2005, 14:17:46 »
Thanks for the advice re paths, I'll try the Council first.  My paths are currently covered with fabric which strong weeds are penetrating.

Gillian

• Half Acre
    • mytinyplot.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2005, 15:41:55 »
Hi,
I have a somewhat unconventional layout for my tiny plot, (you can see a plan on my site if you like). It's based around triangles and diamond shapes. Has the four beds in rotational places and the middle diamond is half a herb garden and permanent veg and half a wild flower garden. My fruit bushes sit off to the left along with my (small) cold fram and (small) compost bin. For the paths I used weed-suppressing fabric covered with wood chip and I finished it off with a nice bench at the top.

The other plot holders gave me a few funny looks when I started to lay out the plot with string and poles - one person asked me if I was making a Union Jack! (nope). I know it probably doesn't make full use of the space I have but as I don't have much of a garden at home mtp doubles as a pleasant place to sit on a Saturday - so I wanted it just so...

I'm not saying this is a good way to do it - just the way I have done it. And it was fun!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2005, 16:52:55 »
  Try asking at your local carpet shop, they usually have loads they want to get rid of, worth an ask!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal