Author Topic: Greenhouse base  (Read 2214 times)

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
Greenhouse base
« on: May 08, 2006, 23:32:17 »
Hi everyone, a friend has donated their greenhouse to me and I'll be dismantling (with help) on 20th May. I'm OK with dismantling and have read a few posts about transporting the glass etc, but what I really need some advice on is the base that it will sit on.

Currently the part of the allotment where I want it to go is just soil (and weeds).  Would appreciate your advice.

Also, is it best to keep the inside open to the ground, or should I plant in pots ???

Thanks
mc

TEL

• Hectare
Re: Greenhouse base
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 05:50:53 »
hi mc55
i put my GH on a treated timber frame & all i plant will be in pots.
Or you can lay a slab base .

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 13:27:59 »
Before getting the greenhouse I asked for advice on the forum. As a result, got some stout planks from Jewsons and some 2 ft long 2x2" stakes (they cut the stakes for free, just charge you for the wood) for piles. Slapped on organic preservative. Pounded the stakes in at corners and along the length, drilled and screwed the planks into them, using spirit level to make sure they were level. With hindsight, 4 x 4" stakes would have been better.

Here is a similar kit ready for a new shed (just need to persuade No.1 son to put it up for me):

And here is the greenhouse standing on the foundations, screwed down since it walked off in the March winds :o :P

You can see the corners and the way the planks are centred on the actual dimensions of the greenhouse:

After a lot of thought and conflicting advice, I laid woven black plastic on the greenhouse floor. With so much weeding to do outside on the plot, I wanted as little labour as possible inside the greenhouse! If I decide another year to get digging inside, the weeds will have gone.

Hope this helps! BTW putting up a second hand greenhouse is a formidable task, you need lots of patience and some good helpers. If you can get the frame up and screwed down to the foundations in one go, you can glaze at your leisure. Good luck mc, you won't regret it :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 14:25:18 by supersprout »

(a)ndy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 18:45:33 »
BTW putting up a second hand greenhouse is a formidable task, you need lots of patience and some good helpers. If you can get the frame up and screwed down to the foundations in one go, you can glaze at your leisure.

I can second that. I bought my second hand greenhouse at the start of Easter and have only just finished it. I had to replace many panes of cracked glass and bought some automatic vents that are working well.

Hopefully I will get some pics up soon.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 19:39:53 »
thanks guys for the advice, piccies are really helpful.  Must admit I am a bit daunted at the thought of dismantling and reassembling, but there is no rush to reassemble it.  Must make sure we take lots of photos when its assembled though !

but am v excited  :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal